Like Button

Thursday, November 16, 2023

Revealed Preference

Revealed Preference Theory is an economic theory that says that you can determine a person's preferences by their purchasing habits. Seems obvious, I know, but isn't the same true in life? Is it not obvious that you can determine a person's actual beliefs by what they do rather than what they say?

"Actions speak louder than words," we say, and I think it's true. When Al Gore declared his "inconvenient truth" about global warming (back when it was still called "global warming") but lived in a house that consumed the energy equivalent of an entire town and traveled everywhere on his tours in heavily-polluting vehicles and such, it seriously called into question what Mr. Gore actually believed. I mean, either it's a serious problem ... or it's not. Your beliefs should dictate your actions. So your behavior reveals your preferences -- you're actual beliefs. Like when a father and/or mother are firmly convinced that homosexual behavior is a sin ... right up to the point that one of their children comes out as gay. Then they're on the front lines stumping for gay rights. What you really believe will come out in your actions.

That might be a useful tool for what Paul calls "testing yourself" (2 Cor 13:5-6). We need to examine ourselves (1 Cor 11:28; 2 Cor 13:5; Gal 6:4), so it might be helpful to ask yourself, "Does what I do align with what I say I believe?" Are you against sexual immorality but practice it? Do you say you follow God's Word but ignore parts in your everyday actions? Is murder a sin but hate is perfectly acceptable (Matt 5:21-22)? Is adultery wrong but lust just fine (Matt 5:31-32)? Are you forgiven much but love little (Luke 7:47)? I'm not the one to evaluate whether or not you actually believe what you say you believe. That's your job. Now, don't mind me; I'll be over here examining my actions ...

1 comment:

Lorna said...

Ouch! (I read an article with a similar theme at Tim Challies’ site yesterday, so I’m feeling a tiny bit ganged-up upon today. :) As it happens, I really hate hypocrisy--in others and especially in myself. And when I am perfectly honest--as I always strive to be--I must admit I am guilty of the very thing I despise. Classic Paul in Romans 7.