Like Button

Friday, November 17, 2023

Godless

We know about atheists. They deny the existence of God. We know agnostics. They don't quite deny the existence of God; they simply believe they don't or can't know ... which ends up a denial of the existence of God. (I mean, how many agnostics conclude, "I don't know if there is a God, but I'm going to pursue it and live it"?) It is termed "godlessness," and given the rampant hostility toward God that the mind set on the flesh has (Rom 8:7), there is a lot of it, even among those who claim to believe in a God but ignore Him for most of their lives. Another version of "godlessness" is one that we all, to some degree or another, indulge to our own discredit. That one is what I'll call "practical atheism."

Practical atheism does not require that you disavow the existence of God. It only requires that you practice the idea at times. We see it a lot in secular living. We have the "sacred" and the "secular" and never the twain shall meet. Except that, if there is a God -- specifically the God of the Bible -- then the disctinction is nonsense, everything belongs to Him, and, therefore, everything falls in the "sacred." That would include your choice (or lack thereof) of spouse, your decision regarding children, your mode of dress, your job choice, your work ethic, your church life, your use of your time ... it goes on and on. And we -- Bible-believing Christians -- often operate as practical atheists. "This part has nothing to do with God and that part is His real concern." Which fundamentally cannot be true if "from Him and through Him and to Him are all things" (Rom 11:36) -- if "in Him all things hold together" (Col 1:17). There is no part of Creation over which God does not say, "Mine," but you wouldn't know it by the way we live so much of the time oblivious to the fact that it's all His.

We are commanded to pray without ceasing (1 Thess 5:17) and "in everything give thanks" (1 Thess 5:18), which would constitute a constant dialog with God in everything. I would think that constant prayer and thanksgiving might go a long way toward avoiding practical atheism among people who would be horrified to find that they are just that at times -- godless.

2 comments:

David said...

Lord help me too have fewer and fewer godless moments.

Lorna said...

As I read this post, I recalled the short story, “My Heart: Christ’s Home” by Robert Munger, about welcoming Jesus into every “room” of our “home life” in order for Him to rule that area. (A Google search will bring up the essay.) I also think of “having Christ on the throne of your heart,” reminding me to surrender all to Him. To me, it is the height of hypocrisy to consider yourself a Christian but to “pay no mind” to Him during your day; it completely disregards the commandment to “love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.” As you admonished us to consider yesterday, my actions will prove the true state of my heart, so I must start there to rule out godlessness. May a soft heart towards God lead me to be mindful of Him throughout my day.