Like Button

Sunday, July 04, 2021

Independence Day

Jesus said, "The truth shall set you free." (John 8:32). He actually expanded on that. "If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." (John 8:36) Freedom. That's what we celebrate on the 4th of July. We call it "Independence Day." Is that wise?

"Independence" refers to not being influenced or controlled by others, not being subject to the authority of another, not being dependent on something else for existence. And most of us would nod and say, "Yes! That's what we want!" As for me, you can have it. It doesn't work for me.

I regard all of existence as dependent. If Christ "is before all things, and in Him all things hold together" (Col 1:17), I'd say that's dependent. If it is true that "from Him and through Him and to Him are all things" (Rom 11:36), I'd say that's dependent. And if it is true that "He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also with Him graciously give us all things?" (Rom 8:32), I want that dependence.

You may crave independence. I need the comfort of being in the care of the Most High. A common word that points to God is "Providence" because He is the provider and I don't want independence from that. It is said that God doesn't want robots. It may, in some sense, be true, but if it were possible, I'd sign up to be just that if He'd let me. I'm all in favor of being somewhat independent of other people and governments and all, but I never want to be outside of the influence and control and authority and provision of God. That's not even safe.

No comments: