Like Button

Sunday, May 03, 2020

Create in Me a Clean Heart, O God

The Pharisees were at it again. This time they were complaining about Jesus's disciples who didn't wash when they ate (Matt 15:1-20). Jesus wondered why they break commandments to obey traditions (Matt 15:3). He explained that they had substituted their traditions for God's laws and failed to honor God (Matt 15:3-9). His disciples didn't quite understand what He meant. "But Peter said to Him, 'Explain the parable to us.'" (Matt 15:15) Jesus responded,
Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled? But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone. (Matt 15:17-20)
I don't know if you've given it much thought, but this is really ... troubling. Not because it's unclear, but because it's clear. Not because it casts aspersions on God, but because it really has serious implications for us.

If it is true (and it is; Jesus said it) that the sin we commit comes "from the heart," what do your words, thoughts, and actions say about what's in your heart? Conversely, what is your heart inspiring you to think, say, and do?

I've been thinking lately about church, so I'll just use that to illustrate. Understand, however, that I'm illustrating. The concept goes to every corner of our lives, public and private.

Some people say we should dress a certain way when we go to church and others say it doesn't matter. I say it's a matter of the heart. We will dress according to what's in our heart. If God is Transcendent and Holy and Sovereign, we would tend to dress accordingly. If God is our "Big Buddy," "the Man Upstairs," a far less glorious God, we would tend to dress accordingly. That is, what's in our heart determines how we dress for gathering with God's people to worship.

Some people say that hymns are suitable for worship and others want something more contemporary, more upbeat, more moving, while still others say it doesn't matter. I say it's a matter of the heart. Of God is "high and lifted up" in your heart, you would tend toward worship that regards Him as high and lifted up. If not, you would tend toward something less so. That is, what's in your heart determines what you prefer for worship music.

Some people say that we should be quiet and attentive in church while others are less ... rigid. "Relax, have a drink of your coffee or water or whatever, take it easy." If God is to be feared, you will act accordingly in church. If He is to be liked but not feared, you will act accordingly.

It's Sunday, so I'm using church examples. This whole concept goes far beyond Sunday. It goes to every aspect of our lives. Do I dress (Sunday or otherwise) for me or for Christ? Do I speak for me or for Christ? Is my heart for me or for Christ? The implication of Christ's statement is that what I think and do can tell me the condition of my heart. And that can be a frightening realization because not one of us think and do what's right all the time.

"Right" is not in the external. We're not right or wrong for what we wear in church, what kind of worship music we employ and enjoy, what we think about in church, or how we act with our neighbors. It's not even what's in our heads. What makes us right or wrong is in our hearts. All that other stuff is a reflection of what's in our hearts. We need that "new heart" (Ezek 36:26). We need to be born from above (John 3:3). (Note: "Born again" is most literally "born from above.") We at least need a heart that longs for more of that new heart rather than enjoying and indulging the old one. At least, that's my prayer.

3 comments:

Craig said...

Lots of good stuff, but I’m just going to hit on one point.

When it comes to fitting music into this matrix, I’m thinking that theology, lyrical content, and focus are more important than musical genre,

Stan said...

I was suggesting that the heart behind it was more important than the genre. Am I choosing music I like because I like it or because it glorifies God. Truth is, that could apply for hymns or contemporary. I tried not to argue that "this was a godly genre and that is not." I was asking about the heart behind it.

Craig said...

Thanks for confirming that.