Like Button

Thursday, November 21, 2019

An Experiment

Some of us are old enough to remember the ad series that had the tagline, "When E.F. Hutton speaks, people listen." Today we could make a new one: "When Trump speaks, people get mad." It doesn't really matter what he says. "Haters are gonna hate," they say, and Trump has a large "hate" following. I have nowhere near that kind of following, but there are still people that get upset almost regardless of what I say. "This verse says this" (and I give the reference and even the text) and they're mad. Why? I don't really know. Honestly. Well, sometimes it's because I've stepped on their toes or I've disagreed with their view of things or they feel like I've said that what they're doing is wrong (and, I suppose, sometimes I have), but more often than not it's simply because I said, "This verse says this." (Like the other day when I made the audacious claim that the Bible is opposed to sexual immorality.) So I'm going to try an experiment. Today I'm going to post something that should offend no one and see if, because Stan speaks, it's offensive.
________

Here are some aircraft maintenance complaints/problems, generally known as squawks, submitted over the years by pilots to maintenance crews. After attending to the squawks, maintenance crews are required to log the details of the action taken to solve the pilots' squawks.

Defect: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
Action: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

Defect: Test flight OK, except autoland very rough.
Action: Autoland not installed on this aircraft.

Defect: No. 2 propeller seeping prop fluid.
Action: No. 2 propeller seepage normal. Nos. 1, 3 and 4 propellers lack normal seepage.

Defect: Something loose in cockpit.
Action: Something tightened in cockpit.

Defect: Dead bugs on windshield.
Action: Live bugs on backorder.

Defect: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200-fpm descent.
Action: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

Defect: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
Action: Evidence removed.

Defect: DME volume unbelievably loud.
Action: Volume set to more believable level.

Defect: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
Action: That's what they are there for!

Defect: IFF doesn't work in Official mode.
Action: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.
(Note: This was actually a "squawk" I got in my days in the Air Force.)

Defect: Suspected crack in windscreen.
Action: Suspect you're right.

Defect: Number 3 engine missing.
Action: After brief search, engine found on right wing.

Defect: Aircraft handles funny.
Action: Aircraft warned to "Straighten up, fly Right, and be serious."

Defect: Target radar hums.
Action: Reprogrammed target radar with words.

Defect: Mouse in cockpit.
Action: Cat installed.

Defect: The autopilot doesn't.
Action: IT DOES NOW.

Defect: Turn & slip indicator ball stuck in center during turns.
Action: Congratulations. You just made your first coordinated turn!

Defect: Whining sound heard on engine shutdown.
Action: Pilot removed from aircraft.

Defect: Pilot's clock inoperative.
Action: Wound clock.

Defect: Autopilot tends to drop a wing when fuel imbalance reaches 500 pounds.
Action: Flight manual limits maximum fuel imbalance to 300 pounds.

Defect: #2 ADF needle runs wild.
Action: Caught and tamed #2 ADF needle.

Defect: Unfamiliar noise coming from #2 engine.
Action: Engine run for four hours. Noise now familiar.

Defect: Noise coming from #2 engine. Sounds like man with little hammer.
Action: Took little hammer away from man in #2 engine.

Defect: Whining noise coming from #2 engine compartment.
Action: Returned little hammer to man in #2 engine.

Defect: Flight attendant cold at altitude.
Action: Ground checks OK.

Defect: 3 roaches in cabin.
Action: 1 roach killed, 1 wounded, 1 got away.

13 comments:

Bob said...

i loved the one about the auto pilot and rough landing..lol..
so was the auto pilot TDY that day?

Stan said...

That one really cracked me up. "Wait ... what? It's not installed? Then how did we ... oh, man!"

Stan said...

Well, the experiment has worked. I'm still a hateful, stupid, racist, Bible-loving jerk even when I'm not being any of that. Sigh. "When Stan talks, people gonna hate."

Craig said...

Yes, the experiment worked well.

The problem is that you're conflating your opinions with the airplane's words.

Stan said...

I think the problem is I have an opinion.

Craig said...

Or that you presume to speak for God, and want to rule the world.

Bob said...

Did you actually get flack on the one? no pun intended..lol

Stan said...

Yes, Bob. The experiment was "Will I get flak on a purely humorous piece just because it's me?" and the answer is Yes!

Stan said...

Feodor, I know that you're upset with me, but you don't seem to understand. I don't read what you say beyond a sentence to get the drift of it ("Is it friendly? No!" Delete.) I'm not responding to you because I'm not paying attention to you, not because I have no response(s).

David said...

But was the flak about the jokes or about the preface?

Stan said...

Well, the preface, of course. (No one hates me so much that they'll be angry every time I speak.)

David said...

But I thought that was the point of the experiment. Doesn't it muddy the waters to call out your haters first?

Stan said...

Yeah, I figured this would happen. That's why I labeled the post "humor". I wasn't making the claim that people hate me. I was simply trying to be funny. (As I said, "No one hates me so much that they'll be angry every time I speak.") It wasn't an actual experiment; it was humor. You know me, David, I have to tell people when I'm being funny because OBVIOUSLY I'm not. Sigh.