Like Button

Friday, August 02, 2019

On Harps and Clouds

I'm not ashamed to admit it. I want to go home. No, not the nice place I live in now with my lovely wife. Home. Because, for me, to die is gain.

I was talking about that with a friend some time ago and someone else overheard me. "What's the matter?" she asked. "Is life so horrible here?" So I offered her a parable-kind-of-thing. "You live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood, don't you? Are you happy there? Good. So imagine that someone comes to your door and says, 'Congratulations! You're the winners of our Grand Prize.' Turns out that you've won a huge prize. They will build a mansion for you in whatever location you wish to your own specifications. They will buy all the household stuff -- furniture, fixtures, etc. -- according to your own choices. They will provide you and your husband each with the car of your choice and replace it for life. They will provide you with whatever servants you require -- cleaning, cooking, chauffeurs, yard work, whatever -- at no cost to you. For life. So," I conclude, "would you accept it?" "Are you kidding?! Absolutely!" "Why?" I ask. "Is your current house so horrible?"

We hear "heaven" and we think "harps and clouds." We think "everything I always wanted." We think comfort and ease. And sometimes we think, "Yeah? So what?" Some people have told me they had no interest. It would be boring.

Not me. I'm not interested in clouds or harps or comfort and ease. I want to be part of that chorus.
I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, "To Him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!" (Rev 5:13)
Streets of gold? You can have them. Angels' wings? Not my longing. But I can think of nothing better than to be on my face before my Savior among God's people praising my God. Better than a fine mansion and great car and servants. Better than life. This life is good. For me, to live is Christ ... and to die is gain.
But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering, and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel." (Heb 12:22-24)
That's where I want to be. I look forward to going home.

No comments: