Like Button

Monday, April 29, 2019

Hardest to Reach

We know that we're supposed to go into all the world and preach the gospel (Mark 16:15). We're supposed to go and make disciples (Matt 28:19-20). And, if we're obedient, we do. So to whom do we go? We're supposed to go to everyone. That would be family and friends, neighbors and strangers, foreigners and natives, people of all station, belief, position. Everyone. That means that you and I will be taking the gospel to atheists and agnostics and "Nones" and religious people and all. (Note: By and the "religious people" might be those who consider themselves "Christian" even though every indication is that they're not.)

The atheist is dead set against God. Often they are actually anti-theist. They aren't merely "I don't believe there is a God" types, but on to "There is no God and I'm going to change your mind to agree with me." Agnostics are technically "I don't know if there's a God," but for reasons that elude me they generally conclude, "So I will live as if there is not." Practical atheists. "Nones" are that growing class that says, "I'm religious, but I'm not affiliated with any religion." They're not opposed to the idea of God; they're just opposed to yours. The religious are 70% out of the 75% of Americans that claim to believe in God ... but it makes no difference in their lives. They are the "I'm a Christian!" types who, if you watch them for very long, make you think, "Why would you think that?" They're the ones who affirm Christianity while denying major, essential doctrines and truths.

So, which is the biggest challenge?

The atheist would, of course, seem to be the worst. Especially the anti-theist. It would look, in fact, like the farther you go along that spectrum I drew, the easier it would get. I would argue that's not true. I think the hardest group is the last. The ignorant and the unbelieving have plenty of space in which to learn of Christ. The religious are pretty sure they're okay. "You need Jesus," you will be tempted to say to which they will respond, "I already have Him." Where do you go with that? Offering them something they believe they already have won't get you anywhere. And since they've "embraced God's Word" while actually rejecting it, you can't use God's Word because ... they've rejected it. You're left without tools. For atheists you can use reason and evidence and for the "religious-but-just-not-your-religion" Nones you can use clarification and direction. You have no "hooks" for the religious because they sense no need.

If you bought all that, I have good news. It was a trick question. I think all that was true, but it's not complete. Those who are not born of God are dead in sin (Eph 2:1-3), hostile to God (Rom 8:7), unable to understand the things of God (1 Cor 2:14), blinded by Satan (2 Cor 4:4), and more. "You need Jesus" isn't going to do it. A fine defense of the gospel and explanation with reason and evidence of the truth of Christ isn't going to convince them. Not the atheist nor the religious. They suffer from a range of maladies, but they all suffer the same fundamental human condition we call sin. A good Bible sermon isn't the trick that will turn them. What they need is divine. All non-believers need the same thing. We just participate.

Who is the biggest challenge? If we're talking about our efforts, I'd say they're all the same -- impossible. If we're talking about God's work, I'd say they're all the same -- susceptible to His work within. Only He can open hearts (Acts 16:14). Our job on the face of it is impossible on our own but absolutely certain with God. That's not a bad place to be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A particularly uncommon category is theists who claim to carry on two-way conversations with figures from their holy book. I've issued three of them specific challenges online to prove this is a real thing. All of them failed my test, but gave gobbledygook excuses for failing, rather than admitting that they are deceiving themselves.

Stan said...

Not entirely sure what you would classify as "carry on two-way conversations with figures from their holy book" (including God?) or what you use for "my test." Those who have conversations with, say, Peter or Isaiah (I just made that up; I've never heard anyone claim that) would indeed be highly suspect in my view. None of which has anything at all to do with the point of the post.

Anonymous said...

The relevance is I was adding a sixth category to your five categories on the spectrum of belief, while admitting that my extra category is thinly populated.

atheist
anti-theist
agnostic
none
sincere Christian
certain (because they hear voices)

Craig said...

What did Jesus day about the sick being the ones who need a doctor. Those who think they aren’t sick, have no interest in being told they’re sick, and definitely aren’t interested in seeing the doctor.