Like Button

Monday, January 28, 2019

Indoctrination

There is a group called HiHo that produces various short educational videos for kids tagged "Kids Meet." The idea is for them to get to meet someone that can give them a perspective on something they can learn. The "who" of that includes everything from a ventriloquist and a bounty hunter to a suicide survivor or a "gender non-conforming person." There is one of these videos currently making the rounds that is stunning and painful to watch. It is an attempt to get kids to understand that abortion is good and right and normal by having them interact with an adult who has had an abortion and who tells them that their concerns (like "life" and "personal responsibility") are groundless.

It was sickening to watch. They produced a "reasonable adult" figure -- not some wild child or crazed woman -- to present a calm and reasonable explanation. When one of the kids suggested that it wouldn't be right to kill the baby if the mother had been irresponsible, the "reasonable adult" assured him he was wrong. What? Would he force her to create life? (No one seemed to realize that she had already done that.) She pressed upon this growing mind that the one, the only possible virtue in this situation would be "what I want to do with my body." They didn't equip any of these kids. They didn't provide them with alternate perspectives (like, "You know, abortion takes a life") or even the information or skills to think it through. At the age where "Teacher said it so it's true," they fed them lies hoping that this younger generation wouldn't come up thinking or making trouble for their license to murder. They did this with their "Kids Meet a Drag Queen," "Kids Meet a gender non-conforming person," and others. Do not evaluate right and wrong, good and bad, on any tangible standard. "Think about the humanity," is the woeful cry, always tinged with "I should always be allowed to do what I want to do."

It made me angry and sad at the same time. They were clearly not merely educating, but informing values; what values were demonstrated by their choices. They, for instance, didn't offer any pedophiles the chance to explain to these children why it's good and right. Killing babies was good if the mother wanted to, but not pedophiles. (And, interestingly, no Christians were represented there, either.) And I can only imagine what we end up with in that next generation when "what I want to do" is the highest "good." But I did learn something. I always wondered why the prevailing thought is "If the mother wants it, it's a baby; if she doesn't, it's a blob of tissue." How does that make sense? It makes perfect sense if "It's my body and I do what I want with it" is the supreme value. Not "people." Not "love." Not "morality." No higher authority than "me." So of course the "me" that is bearing the child gets to determine the value of the child. It's wrong, but I see it now. I do have to wonder who subjected their children to this kind of indoctrination. I suppose it would be parents who would never subject their kids to Christian indoctrination or the like. No way!

No comments: