Like Button

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Schizophrenic

We are a schizophrenic society.

We label as "misguided" at best and "hateful" at worst those who reject the Science we affirm and then deny the science we don't like because we know that biology can't tell us a person's gender; that's a social construct. We warn about children who can't tell the difference between candy and laundry detergent and then look to children to solve our school shooting problems. We decry the murder of a dozen or two school children and defend in court the right to murder millions of unborn babies. We rise up declaring "not one more woman sexually abused" and, at the same time, demand that all a guy has to do to expose himself to our disrobed wives and daughters is to tell us he thinks he's a girl. We assert that there is no difference between men and women and then require that men who think they're women or women who think they're men be treated like the gender they think they are ... after we already asserted that there was no difference. We are opposed to the rich corporations from which we purchase our tools -- smartphones, computers, social media, and the like -- to oppose the rich corporations. We protest for our rights to speak and act in accordance with our best judgment and deeply held beliefs and protest laws that ensure people's ability to do so. We march for our rights and freedoms ... unless they are rights and freedoms we don't want you to have. "No special rights for you, you, or you ... but for these extreme minorities special rights are required." We are hateful and intolerant of people we deem hateful and intolerant.

And, ultimately, we look to us, the schizophrenic, to solve our societal problems, as if there is anything in us that could rationally be expected to solve our societal problems. We "go down to Egypt for help" and "trust in chariots because they are many," but "do not look to the Holy One ... or consult the LORD!" (Isa 31:1) We sing about "looking for love in all the wrong places", not realizing we're looking for self-help in the same way. And if someone says, "Hey, I can't help you, but I know Who can," we call them "religious" and "bigots" and "narrow-minded" and "blind". Frankly, people, we are not doing ourselves any favors, because Help is absolutely at hand -- ready and able to actually help. The Lord says, "How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!" (Matt 23:37)

Our times mock "thoughts and prayers." As for me, "I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth." (Psa 121:1-2) You go ahead and expect your children, your citizens, your political party, your "special rights" movement, your government, or whatever other crippled assistance you might trust to solve these big problems. I'll look to Someone who can.

4 comments:

Stan said...

If a Christian urges prayer and trust in God, why would anyone (even Christians) assume it precludes action? Seems like it's just like what Jesus did.

Marshal Art said...

Dude, I'm telling you...you need a "like" button.

Stan said...

Actually, Marshal, I tried. The Blogger system doesn't include the option, but I looked for code to do it. If I had my own Facebook account, I think I could, but I don't care enough about "likes" to enter into that realm. And, to be fair, I don't think a "like" button without a "dislike" button is fair to readers or provides useful feedback to me, so ...

Marshal Art said...

While I agree there are times when a "dislike" button seems necessary, no "likes" pretty much accomplishes the same goal, with the caveat that it also can mean no one read the piece. But why would that be?

More importantly for now, just know that while I favor most all of what you post, there are some the cry out for more distinctive recognition.

Keep up the great work.