Like Button

Wednesday, May 06, 2015

The Grammar Nazis

Perhaps you've heard of the "grammar Nazis". Or perhaps it's the "grammar police". You know the types. Their intent is to correct how you say what you write. Don't mess up the language. It just won't do.

I recently saw a story about two brothers who have made it their calling to correct grammar. Oh, not just any grammar. One is focused solely on "comprised of" while the other is bent on "based around". That's it. The former spent years correcting every entry of "comprised of" in Wikipedia and continues the job to this day to keep it up. (Okay, not every entry.) I saw the story because my wife thought I'd enjoy it. "You like that kind of stuff." Yes ... and no.

Those odd brothers and I have two different aims. I am concerned about language and its use not for correct grammar, but for communication. I do spend time reading, proofreading, correcting, looking up, and verifying my own writing, not so the grammar and spelling are correct, but so that it won't detract from what I'm saying.

I saw a story the other day somewhere on some controversial subject. (I think it was an item on ABC Family's new "reality" show about life for a kid whose dad was planning to reassign his gender. Because kids need to know how to deal with this situation in their own lives. Seriously, ABC Family?) I was disappointed by the number of comments aimed at "Your argument is without merit because you misspelled x or didn't capitalize properly." I'm sure you've seen it. A form of ad hominem. "Your argument is false because I don't like you."

I don't want to do that. I want to communicate without obfuscation. So I try to avoid obscuring (the meaning of "obfuscation" ... you know, just for humor's sake) things with poor grammar, bad spelling, or other unnecessary issues. It's not about "the great value of the English language." It's about communication. Using as an example my most common complaint on the use of language these days, I want to say "married" and be understood rather than having the word mean something completely different than what I intended (as it does today).

Communication is difficult at best. Poor grammar and bad spelling don't go very far in improving it. Neither does redefining or undefining the language we speak. That is why it concerns me. I'll overlook your spelling and grammar if you're getting across something to say. I hope you'll do the same for me.

No comments: