Like Button

Sunday, November 03, 2013

Sanctify Me

Elvis sang "Satisfy me." I have a different request: "Sanctify me." Of course, my request isn't merely different in words; it is different in certainty. It is a prayer that I know to be God's will, so it is a prayer I know will be answered.

I am not the first to pray such a prayer, nor will I be the last. The first request for the benefit of Christians came from Christ Himself. In His glorious High Priestly Prayer He asked God on behalf of His disciples, "Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth" (John 17:17). Such a simple prayer on the face of it, but it carries tremendous import.

Paul argued with the Galatians, "Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?" (Gal 3:2-3). We are -- all believers -- in the process of "being perfected" -- sanctified. We were set apart from new birth ("sanctified") and we are being transformed ("sanctified") into the image of Christ. And we are not doing it "by the flesh". How, then? Paul says it is by the Spirit. And Jesus says it is "in the truth". What truth? God's word.

Putting it together, then, here's the plan. Jesus prayed that the Father would sanctify His disciples. How? We are to be set apart and progressively made holy by the work of the Holy Spirit through the infusing of the truth that is found in God's word. Well, now, that seems fairly clear and even comprehensive. And, if it is indeed true, I would suspect that the word of God should be rather important in the life of the believer. We have lots of inputs about how to improve. There are programs and "moves of the Spirit" and obedience paths and self-help procedures. Jesus prayed that we would be sanctified by the truth that is God's word. Something to think about.

No comments: