Like Button

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Rejoice

They tell us that in all cases Scripture must be made applicable. Simple truth, plain facts, straightforward doctrine ... these things are all well and good, but not particularly helpful if they are not made practical. Now, I'm not entirely sure this is true. I think that you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. That is, truth, by virtue of the fact that truth is defined as that which corresponds to reality, is applicable and beneficial. Further, the God I trust is fully capable of assigning application to truth. I guess, then, that I agree. Truth must be applicable ... because it is and because God will make it so.

Having said that, it's always interesting to me to see how the Bible practices this principle of applying truth. Paul, in fact, was a master at it. Nearly every one of his epistles started with pure, reasonable doctrine and ended with a "therefore" requiring an "in light of this truth we must" type of conclusion.

Paul's epistle to the church at Philippi is somewhat of an exception. This is a down-home, practical letter riddled with both truth and application. "God has granted you that you not only believe, but suffer for His sake" (Phil 1:29) followed by "So make my joy complete by being of one mind" (Phil 2:1-2). He talks about how that "one mind" works (Phil 2:3-11) and then has us apply the fact that Christ is exalted by working out our salvation (Phil 2:12-13). And on and on. Truth - application.

There is, in all of this, a repeated application.
If I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me (Phil 2:17-18).

Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you is no trouble to me and is safe for you (Phil 3:1).

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice (Phil 4:4).
I don't know about you, but I'm beginning to detect a theme. Hmmm, let me see ... what might it be? Oh, yeah! Rejoice! He says it so many times that He almost apologizes for it. "To write the same things to you is no trouble to me." Indeed, he suggests that it "is safe for you." Rejoice!

Why? Because of the truth. Because "it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure" (Phil 2:13). Because we can "count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ" (Phil 3:8). Because "our citizenship is in heaven" (Phil 3:20). Because there is no need to "be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God" (Phil 4:6). Because "I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content" (Phil 4:11) and you can, too. Because "my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus" (Phil 4:19).

Christians have it made. We are loved by God, surrounded by fellow believers, citizens of heaven. We can (and will) encounter suffering and rejoice in it. We can be content in all situations. We ought to be marked by rejoicing. Rejoicing is for your safety. Paul thought so. He certainly said it enough times.

No comments: