Like Button

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Who's Talking?

"It seems as if the only good ideas I ever have are the ones that either originate from or are approved by you. It seems as if it is not possible for me to have a good idea without your agreement, that you are the ultimate arbiter of what is good and anyone that doesn't agree is stupid ... or worse."

Who is talking and to whom? Well, obviously there's not enough information there. It sounds like it could be just about any husband to his wife ... or wife to her husband. It could be any employee to his boss (or even, possibly, vice versa). It could be in all sorts of interpersonal situations. But the one that comes to mind for me is none of the above. I could very easily imagine God saying that ... to His creation.

When it's put in that light, coming from the Creator to the created, from the Sovereign to the servant, it takes on something of a frightening aspect. Like, "Oh, my, is that how I come across to You, Lord?" At least, to me. I suppose there are those who would say, "Yeah, what of it? It's true. I am the ultimate arbiter of what is good and no god has any right suggesting otherwise." That is perhaps more frightening to me, at least on their behalf.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

“I am the ultimate arbiter of what is good and no god has any right suggesting otherwise.”

Can you and I find common ground with the following statement?

The world would be a safer place if its two billion Muslims began to really question the beliefs that are handed down from generation to generation.

Stan said...

Kind of a broad statement, isn't it? I mean, the vast majority of Muslims that I've met are opposed to what the term "Muslim" stirs up in most American minds.

But, of course, the basis of such a "common ground" would be the question. I would consider it a good thing because I would like to see them come to Christ. You would consider it a good thing because all religions are wrong and ought to be dismissed entirely. Not the same thing.