Like Button

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Providence

There are still folks who use the word, "providence". No, I don't mean "the capital of Rhode Island". I almost never hear anyone refer to the capital of Rhode Island. No, I still hear people -- not too many, but some -- use the term in reference to Divine Providence. It is almost always used as an alternative to "good luck" or something like it. Something fortuitous happened, and "It was just Providence, I guess."

The word comes from Latin, meaning "foresight" (pro "ahead" + videre "to see"), but you can see fairly quickly the root of the word. Here, let me "spell it out": "Provide-ence". Divine Providence, then, is God foreseeing a situation and providing the care and guidance His creation needs.

Most people, when they think of Providence, think of "nice things that happen" or the like. I am thinking more and more that this is just a product of American comfortable living. "Nice things" is what we expect. "Have not" is the definition of "bad" and "have" is "good". The biblical version is not quite the same thing.
The joy of the LORD is your strength (Neh 8:10).

Rejoice in the Lord always (Phil 4:4).

I count everything as loss in view of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord (Phil 3:8).

I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me (Phil 4:11, 13).
Over and over Scripture points us to something other than temporal comfort and the joy of "having". The Providence that God offers is something far beyond such petty things. It is the Providence of Him. It is the joy of Him. It is the value of knowing Him. True contentment is found in Him. It's not in the "stuff" that He provides. It is Himself.

Does God provide "stuff"? Does He give aid in hard times or rescue in times of trouble? Yes, He may. And that's nice. But when I have Him, all that other stuff becomes ... Paul's word was "loss". (Note, in fact, that the word means "detriment".) "Nice things" simply give me a false sense of "home" here when I'm not truly home unless I'm in His presence. Until I find my full satisfaction in Him, I will never be "at home". And full satisfaction in Him is precisely what He provides. This is how Habakkuk can say, "Though the fig tree should not blossom And there be no fruit on the vines, though the yield of the olive should fail and the fields produce no food, though the flock should be cut off from the fold and there be no cattle in the stalls, yet I will exult in the LORD, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation" (Hab 3:17-18). Habakkuk and you.

1 comment:

Danny Wright said...

This is worth a million "spirit bucks" (:>) for those who can get it. I'm diligently working on getting it myself.