Like Button

Saturday, June 04, 2011

Not All Have Faith

I've contended for a long time that faith is a gift. Those who disagree have argued that faith is something that we provide, the thing we bring to the equation. You have the classic "God has done 99.9% and you have to do the last 0.1% by coming in faith." You've heard that before, right? I've offered a pile of Scriptures that say that faith is a gift, but it just doesn't seem to sink in. One I've offered on more than one occasion is the one that appears to me to be completely incontrovertible.
For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith (Rom 12:3).
There it is as plain as can be. "God has allotted to each a measure of faith." In what possible sense does that not say that faith is a gift?

In those rare cases that I can get those who disagree with me to admit that it is plain here, this is what I get in response. "Yes, it is clear that faith is a gift. However, it says that 'God has allotted to each a measure of faith.' That means that everyone is given faith, and we just decide what to do with it."

Now, I frankly don't see how that makes a lot of sense, but where do I go from there? I could argue about who the context is referencing when it says "each", but that ends up closer to an opinion than a certainty. And then I came across this.
Finally, brothers, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may speed ahead and be honored, as happened among you, and that we may be delivered from wicked and evil men. For not all have faith (2 Thess 3:1-2).
Oh, now that is interesting. While Romans 12 says that God has allotted to each a measure of faith, 2 Thessalonians 3 says that not all have faith. How does that work? Well, we could do a little dance here and say, "Well, God gave them faith, but they lost it" or some such. Or we could conclude that the "each" referenced in Romans 12 -- since Paul is writing to "brothers" (Rom 12:1), those who are saints (Rom 1:7) -- is a reference to believers and not all humans. But, then, if we did that, we'd be back to that whole "faith is a gift" thing and someone would have to change their view on the subject, so ... never mind.

No comments: