Like Button

Sunday, May 16, 2010

But for the Grace of God

A few days ago I did a tongue-in-cheek entry aimed at pointing out the problem with the common line of thinking among Christians that I arrive at salvation because of my choice. In case it wasn't clear, it was not about how special I am, but how glorious and gracious God is.

When we talk about "election" in Reformed circles, there is an element of those listening that think, "Well, you sure think you're something special ... God choosing you and all." And the point gets missed. According to Paul, those who are chosen are chosen "so that God's purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls". That is, nothing in me caused God to choose me.

It is this that brings me to my knees at the very thought of being saved. My question might be, "Why me?" What is certain is that it wasn't because of me. It is with the psalmist that I say, "Not to us, O LORD, not to us, But to Your name give glory Because of Your lovingkindness, because of Your truth" (Psa 115:1). Or, as Paul puts it, "He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace" (Eph 1:5-6). Something I can't forget.

No comments: