Like Button

Thursday, June 25, 2009

You asked for it

So someone asked for more nature pictures. Okay ... more bird pictures, but I thought I could expand it. Let's see how this goes.


Interestingly (at least to me), this picture was taken on Margs Trail which, by sheer coincidence, is (almost) my wife's name. I found the contrast pleasing. (My wife wondered if I photoshopped it even though she was there when I took it. I did nothing to edit this photo.)



I wonder if someone can give me the name of this lizard. No, no, not "Ted" or "Bob". I mean, what kind of lizard? A Chuckwalla perhaps?



The green lizard, I'm pretty sure, is a collared lizard. Sure, but what kind of collared lizard? (Note: This was a pretty large lizard. The body without the tail was something close to a foot long.) I'm thinking Eastern Collared Lizard?



Getting a butterfly to sit still long enough for a picture is tough. Getting them to smile is really hard. (Made you look.)



I need some help identifying this yellow bird. It was singing madly up in the Sedona area. I can't figure out what it is.



This sweet little hummingbird looks way too thin. Maybe she needs to buff up a little?

8 comments:

Dan Trabue said...

Your yellow bird is not a western tanager, is it?

Sherry said...

Those are some great shots. And, wow, that first photo should be on a calendar or a magazine cover. Beautiful!

Stan said...

I don't know. The Western Tanager tends to be more orange in the face. (Those in the link you gave said that the bird in the picture was likely not a western tanager, but more likely a hepatic tanager.)

The whole "juvenile" or "female" or "local variant" thing just throws me off anyway, but I'll keep looking.

Science PhD Mom said...

A desert spiny lizard is my guess for your first lizard pic.

As for the bird, my best shot is an olive warbler. It would be breeding in Sedona at this time of year, which might explain the mad singing--courting a pretty lady, perhaps!

Btw, I have the pics of the junco nest with babies up on Facebook.

Stan said...

I like the olive warbler idea, except that the bird books say that he's easily recognized by his black mask. Maybe he took it off for mating?

Whatever that lizard is, I'm pretty sure he lost his tail, which throws off my whole "compare to the pictures" thing.

I will go see those junco shots soon. Thanks.

Science PhD Mom said...

What about the hermit warbler?

http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/327/_/Hermit_Warbler.aspx

Science PhD Mom said...

My other guess was a verdin, but I don't see that red shoulder patch.

Stan said...

Yeah, he's much too big for a Verdin. (He's about Robin size.) The hermit warbler is a possibility, but it just doesn't ... feel right. Not enough yellow on the head.