Like Button

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Odd Bedfellows

According to many sources, "God is using Carrie Prejean in a HUGE way." You remember Carrie. She is the Miss USA contestant who, when asked by a gay activist about redefining marriage, stood on her convictions that marriage was between a man and a woman. Since then she has been cursed by the gay community and adored by the Christian community.

Does anyone see a problem here?

Now, I have to admit that I'm in favor of standing on your principles, and, further, I'm in favor of the principle on which she stood. I'm good with that. I don't mind that she wavered. At least she stood. No, that's not my problem. My problem is that our latest source of pride and joy, our current stalwart in this battle is ... a beauty queen. You remember beauty queens, right? They are known for one thing and one thing only -- their appearance. They have spent their lives primping and preening, showing as much flesh as is possible, with the sole intent of being judged the best looking female. Okay, fine ... now, help me out with this. Exactly what about this job is "Christian"? When this story broke, a Christian blogger posted a picture of Miss Prejean in her bikini, and the comments were all about how difficult it was to look at the picture without lust. How is that "Christian"? Making your chosen career path a job solely focused on inciting lust and being judged on appearance, how is that "Christian"?

As I said, I'm glad that Carrie stood on principle. I don't think she was treated fairly. I am not surprised, but I am disappointed that she has been so abused for stating her opinion. Up to this point I'm with you. But when we begin to see a beauty queen as our best spokesman on the topic of same-sex unions, I have a problem. Congratulations, Carrie, for standing on the truth. Now, can we find a better "front man"?

5 comments:

Science PhD Mom said...

Unfortunately I think you've hit upon the main problem with seeking spokespeople for our convictions who are appealing to the world & captivate its attention. Which conviction is more important?

FzxGkJssFrk said...

I thought pretty much the same thing when I first heard of all this. Right on.

Stan said...

We're so confused ...

Compassionate Conservative said...

thank you!
Ive been thinking this exact same thing since this happened-I'm glad I'm not the only one who is thinking this!

Stan said...

Odd thing ... the more the story stays around, the worse it gets. I begin to think, "Please, Carrie, just go away!" This is exactly what people who hold biblical principles need ... a beauty queen who shows all her "assets" as our spokesperson ... not!