Like Button

Sunday, August 26, 2007

My Imagination

"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another" (John 13:35).
I have a secret fantasy. Fantasies, by their nature, are not probabilities. They are unlikely. I recognize that. But I still harbor this one as if it were actually possible.

What is my secret fantasy? I'd love to be a part of a church that is exemplified by Jesus's words here to His disciples. I'd love to find a church that is marked in every aspect by love for the brethren.

Now, I need to be clear. I'm not talking about some "warm feelings" kind of love. I'm talking about love in all its aspects. I'm talking about a love that weeps with those who weep and rejoices with those who rejoice. I'm talking about a love that speaks the truth. I'm talking about a love that rejoices in righteousness, but is willing to point out unrighteousness. This love of which I speak is a deep and abiding concern for the welfare of others. If comfort is needed, it is offered. If wisdom is required, it is provided. If answers are called for, they are forthcoming. If discipline is needed, it is given. This love is soft when it needs to be and tough when it must be.

What would that look like in my fantasy church? This church would be more than the standard "love the people in your clique." I can find that anywhere. If you're in, you're in. No, I dream of a church that cares if you're there. The people there are happy to see you and notice when you're missing. I imagine people who won't let you get away without a handshake and sincere "How are you?" or a hug and a smile. I visualize a place where newcomers are noticed. I picture them even being invited to an after-church meal to "get to know you better." "Hey, we have a roast in the oven and it's more than we can eat. Care to join us for lunch?" I can see a church that visits the sick and provides for the needy. I think of a place where you don't attend, but you are made a part. The question isn't "Will you keep coming?" but "What can we contribute to you, and what can you contribute to us?" I fantasize about a group of people that doesn't merely acknowledge your presence, but enjoys it. "Hey, we have a Bible study on Wednesdays. Are Wednesdays good for you? No? Well, the McKinneys have one on Thursday. Hey, Jack, meet the Smiths. They are available for your Bible study on Thursdays." Imagine a place where everyone who comes is felt like they are part of the "insiders". Instead of tickling ears, the preacher gives the people the truth that they need. Instead of meeting "felt needs" as a way to bring people in, the church meets needs as a byproduct of love.

Church size for this kind of place wouldn't really matter. Sure, it would seem to be easiest in a smaller church, but a larger one constructed of "cells", so to speak, would still be able to do it logistically. It wouldn't be any more expensive than the current model I've seen. And it would certainly seem like it would be more effective, since it is always easier to impact people's lives if you get close enough to do it.

So what keeps this from happening? I suspect it's people. We tend to cluster with what we know. That group we're used to is easy to love; the strangers are not so easy. There is a comfort zone that we all prefer. Extending ourselves beyond that takes work. It's not something a church could "legislate". Lots of churches have programs that hint at this concept. Greeters are everywhere. Opportunities exist. Unfortunately, this takes people who have a heart to love others. What concerns me most deeply is that this should be the very heart of every believer, based on Jesus's words.

Maybe you have experienced such a place. I can't say that I have. If you have, tell me about it. I'd love to hear. If not, maybe you have a better idea, or perhaps a good reason why it would be a bad idea. Either one might ease my sadness at this idea being mere fantasy instead of an easily obtained reality. Maybe my perception is off?

2 comments:

Chris Larimer said...

I have experienced this kind of church. It's wonderful...from the moment you show up, you're family. It's not a huge church, but they know that what they have in Jesus Christ is access to God's eternal delight in Himself. And it makes all the difference in the world. (It helps that the pastor they have is one of the best Bible teachers I've heard and one heck of a leader!)

Stan said...

I would like to think they exist. I just wonder why they're so rare.