Like Button

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Footprints

I was all set to start up on the hymns again, but recent events have caused me to think about something, and perhaps it would be a valuable thought process for you as well.

The buzzword of the day is "carbon footprint". What kind of a carbon footprint are you leaving? The idea is to ask yourself how much you are affecting the global environment. Now, if you've read me for very long, you'll know that I'm not deeply concerned about that question. But it begs a similar question. What is your life footprint?

Several years ago my wife's parents celebrated their 50th anniversary. People came from all over the country to celebrate with them. Their children rented a hall to accommodate them all. You see, her parents have a large life footprint, affecting many people in a positive way. Similarly, we celebrated my parents' 50th anniversary four years ago. We had to pare down the list of who to invite among their friends because there were just too many to accommodate. When my parents travel, they have to decide how many of their multitudinous friends and relatives they will visit at any given place because they seem to have a crowd of people they know wherever they go. They have a large life footprint.

After my grandfather's funeral, my brother and I discussed the idea. How large a footprint are we leaving? Whose lives have we touched? How have we impacted those around us? My wife and I joked about making plans for my 50th birthday some time ago. I told her, "You could invite all my friends ... but I'm not sure either would show up." It was good for a laugh, but it wasn't good in terms of a life footprint.

We are called to be a light in the world. Christians are told to "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven" (Matt. 5:16). There is an old line: "If you were to be arrested for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?" We aren't to go quietly here on this earth. We are to be known for our love (John 13:35). We are to be "Good Samaritans" (Luke 10:25-37). We are to have a positive relationship with our Father, to be sure, but we are also supposed to leave a positive footprint in our world.

I don't care much about my carbon footprint. I don't really think much about that. I do care about my life footprint. I do want to make a positive impact. When I go to be Christ, I hope to leave behind people whose lives I've impacted for good and who will, in turn, impact others for good. I want to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant." I want to properly use that which God has given me to invest in others. Right now I'm not sure I'm achieving that goal. Are you?

4 comments:

Samantha said...

I remember a certain person whom God used in my life to bring about my salvation. :D

I think God is worker far more in you that you even realize!

But of course, there is always room for improvement and you've given me a lot to think about.

Samantha said...

My computer froze and I couldn't fix my mistake!! I meant, "working" in you, not worker. I know you get it :D

Stan said...

Samantha,

I have no doubt -- and it is sweet indeed -- that God has used me at times. But God can use a jackass to correct a prophet. I'd love to be a much more useful tool. ;)

Samantha said...

So true! That made me laugh!! :D