Romans 9 is where Paul asks us to stand before the mystery of God without flinching. The chapter does not flatter human instinct; it does not soften divine sovereignty; it does not apologize for the weight of glory. It simply opens the curtain and lets us see God as He is—merciful, just, patient, free.
Paul begins with the jarring words, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.” It is covenantal language, not emotional language, yet it still unsettles us. We are accustomed to imagining God’s choices as responses to our choices. But here, God’s love precedes Jacob’s birth, Jacob’s character, Jacob’s works. The point is not that God is arbitrary, but that His purposes are older than we are. Election is not a verdict on human merit; it is the architecture of redemption.
Then Paul presses further: “It does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy.” This is not a denial of human responsibility; it is a denial that human effort can generate salvation. The will and the run are real, but they are not the engine. Mercy is the engine. Mercy is the explanation. Mercy is the miracle. Paul is not dismantling logic—he is dismantling pride.
And then the hardest line: “He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires.” Hardening is not God extinguishing a willing heart; it is God handing a rebellious heart over to its rebellion. It is judicial, not capricious. Pharaoh is not a puppet; he is a warning. Mercy softens; judgment exposes. Both reveal the same God—holy, patient, righteous.
Finally Paul speaks of God’s will to “show His wrath and make His power known.” Wrath is not God’s delight; it is His justice. Power is not God’s ego; it is His holiness displayed against the backdrop of human sin. And yet wrath is not the destination of the chapter. Mercy is. Paul’s crescendo is not despair but astonishment: that God, who would be just to condemn, instead prepares vessels of mercy for glory.
Romans 9 is difficult because it refuses to let us be the center of the story. It insists that salvation begins in God, flows from God, and returns to God. It humbles us so that grace can lift us. It silences us so that worship can speak. It confronts us so that comfort can be real.
Romans 9 calls us to humility before God’s sovereignty, gratitude for God’s mercy, patience with God’s timing, and reverence for God’s holiness. It teaches us to stop measuring salvation by human effort and to start marveling at divine compassion. It invites us to trust God’s purposes when they exceed our understanding, and to rest in His mercy when our own strength fails. Above all, it urges us to worship—not because we grasp every mystery, but because we have been grasped by grace.
5 comments:
The are so many things about the "Calvinist" view that are extremely comforting, reassuring, and bring more glory to God than other views do. Romans 9 is definitely one of those passages that clearly expresses how wrong we are in our self-centered understanding, trying to give God leniency that He never asked for.
David, was there a time when you didn't buy it? When you heard about election and God's choice and said, "No ... I don't think so."?
No, but only because it wasn't really a concept I was introduced to early on, at least not the controversy between Calvinists and Arminians. By the time I came into the conflict, I was already pretty heavily biased into clear scriptural reading without imposing external constructs. Which is no easy feat, I became a Christian about 9 or 10 and didn't really have to think about it until I was in my twenties. I imagine most Christians aren't even familiar with the different concepts because of the rarity of direct preaching on it.
I find this a difficult teaching (and I dismissed it for a long time, since I never heard it taught back then), but I came to realize that it is biblical (as you demonstrated well). The thing I must remember is that it is ludicrous to think that I would understand all of Almighty God’s ways. I am content to rest there (as should the doubters).
Although I do remember being taught and believing in the "God does 99% and we do 1%" by making the choice.
Post a Comment