Like Button

Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Be Imitators of Me

Paul wrote, "Be imitators of me" (1 Cor 4:16), clarifying later "just as I also am of Christ" (1 Cor 11:1). He commended the Thessalonian believers who "became imitators of us and of the Lord" (1 Thess 1:6). The author of Hebrews told us to be "imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises (Heb 6:12). We see a repeated idea here: imitate others who imitate Christ. Is that what we see today?

You know the standard saying: "Do as I say, not as I do." We get it. "I'm telling you good stuff ... that even I can't live up to." It is thinly-veiled hypocrisy. If it's such good stuff, why don't we do it? Because we don't actually believe it. In his letter to the church at Thessalonica, Paul took a different tack. He told them, "Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from every brother who leads an unruly life and not according to the tradition which you received from us" (2 Thess 3:6). You see it, right? He told them that believers ("every brother") are not supposed to lead "an unruly life." That's the "do as I say." But what did Paul do? He told us. He gave them "the tradition" that he modeled ("Do as I do"). By "unruly" he means "not willing to work" (2 Thess 3:10). But it wasn't just a command from Paul. "For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example, because we did not act in an undisciplined manner among you, nor did we eat anyone's bread without paying for it, but with labor and hardship we kept working night and day so that we would not be a burden to any of you" (2 Thess 3:7-8). Paul taught it ("do as I say"), and Paul lived it ("do as I do").

Now, Paul was an Apostle, and he had a requirement not only to teach what was right, but to live it. I would argue that we, too, as followers of Christ have the same obligation. Notice that church leaders (1 Tim 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9) have strict rules in order to be in that role because leaders absolutely need to be examples of what is right and not just teachers of it. So it is with all of us, commensurate with the degree in which we lead. Parents, teachers, leaders, disciplers ... all walks of the Christian life carry some measure of leadership and, as such, carry the requirement to be examples, not just truth-sayers. I'll tell you, it makes me nervous to think that I'm supposed to be an example, but if I have to, I have to. So do you.

2 comments:

David said...

I often think of this when I see parents smoke or swear in front of their children, and then turn around and say not to do those things. Why would anyone under the authority of another do things that the authority says not to do, but does themselves? It is a good reminder to us that in some way, we are to be an example to others.

Lorna said...

Most parents recognize that they serve as role models and will influence their child(ren)--whether for better or for worse. One would assume that most church pastors are cognizant of a similar responsibility (which would extend to teachers as well [James 3:1]). In general, though, I think that too few of us believers consider the implication of being “Christ-tians”--literally, “little Christs.” I will admit that I am not keen to have my life examined for all the instances of “do as I say, not as I do” (AKA “practice what you preach” and “walk the talk”). (Sometimes I wish I were more oblivious and less self-aware!) May I model behavior that reflects Christlike attributes rather than be an example of what a hypocrite looks like.