Like Button

Sunday, May 29, 2022

Win-Win

In Manitoba, Canada, a grandmother went to church one last time ... to die. They called it her "crossing-over ceremony." She had ALS and Canada has legalized euthanasia, so she wanted to die, and she wanted to die in church. They accomodated her. Simply stunning. They sang "How Great Thou Art" and surrounded her with family and friends and executed her in the sanctuary. All very "Christian" ... even though it wasn't at all.

In this country we're debating the value of life. Canada doesn't anymore. They allow people to die by choice for just about anything. At any age. Because life has no value, just "my choice." So while we ask, "What is the value of an unborn human life?" they exhibit the rational conclusions we will eventually have to come to. Either we are intrinsically valuable -- made in the image of God -- or we are not, and, if not, terminating life at any age should be no big deal.

For me, however, this comes closer to home. You see, I'm one who agrees with Paul that to live is Christ and to die is gain. For me, going home is the preferred choice. So, wouldn't I favor this "let me die" approach? Funny thing. In a world like Canada's "what I want" version of human worth, I should be seeking to die because what I want is to be with Christ. But I believe that we are made in the image of God and, as such, have great value in His eyes. I do not belong to me. I don't believe in "my body, my choice" because I deny the first claim. So I don't seek to die. I don't wish to end it all. I look forward to the day that He calls me home, but I don't aim to hasten it. Because, for me, to live is Christ, and as long as He has use for me here, this is where I want to be. I know where I'll end up when the work is done, so I can wait. I concur with Paul.
So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please Him. (2 Cor 5:6-9)
In the presence of Christ or pleasing Him in this life -- at home with the Lord or not -- we win.

1 comment:

Marshal Art said...

Really good post. The sanctity of life...ours or others'...is a matter of to Whom each life belongs. I love the bit about "my body, my choice". So well said.