Like Button

Friday, June 18, 2021

What's New?

In Leviticus God gives His people the first instance of "Love your neighbor as yourself" (Lev 19:18). The first of many. Jesus repeated it repeatedly (Matt 5:43; Matt 19:19; Matt 22:39.) Paul echoed it (Rom 13:9; Gal 5:14), and James chimed in as well (James 2:8). Okay, we got it. It's important. Let's do that. And then Jesus threw in something else.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:34-35)
That's a little strange, isn't it? "New commandment"? Really? How is that a new commandment? The astute observer will point out, "He said 'as I have loved you' instead of 'as you love yourself'." That's true indeed. There is a qualitative difference to this love. It's a new standard. Not "as you love yourself." And that has been a sticking point for a lot of people because, "Hey, some of us don't love ourselves at all." I would argue that it's not true, of course. Even suicides do it because they think they'll be better off. And Paul points out, "No one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it" (Eph 5:29). Some of us aren't exactly deeply in love with ourselves, but every human being loves himself. So this new standard -- "as I have loved you" -- is a definite difference. And how did He love us? To death ... His own death. So that's a big difference, too.

There is, I believe, another factor here. It's found in the phrase, "one another." The broader command to love was "your neighbor" and Jesus explained that was anybody with whom you come in contact (Luke 10:29-37). But this command is more specific. "Love one another." That is, in their case, "those in this room" or, in the broader sense, "fellow believers." "Us." We were already commanded to love "them," so a new aspect of Jesus's command is a particular love for a particular people. This command is a love like Jesus loves for a people that Jesus loves -- the chosen.

Jesus prayed that His disciples "may all be one, just as you, Father, are in Me, and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You have sent Me" (John 17:21). Why? "So that the world may know that You sent Me and loved them even as You loved Me" (John 17:23). Our love for one another -- believers -- makes a unity with one another -- believers -- that will display supernaturally that God sent His Son and God loves His people. That is the "new" of Jesus's command. Unfortunately, I fear we've not been very diligent to love one another that way.

5 comments:

Craig said...

This is something I've been wondering about for a while. While we are definitely commanded to love everyone throughout scripture, it seems to me as if Jesus ushers in something else. I see to many of the NT commands to love that seem to indicate that we are supposed to love other believers differently. It's something I struggle with, because it certainly seems to be in the text, but it's not something I've heard anyone really dig into. Maybe I'm wrong, and am seeing something that isn't there, but I just don't know.

Anonymous said...

Some of you object to off-topic comments, but I'm sweating in this dry heat and wondering where you fellas would move to in the US to retire without all this misery. Any cities/states that appeal to you guys? I'm ready for my hard-earned golden years!

Stan said...

Craig, I don't think you're seeing things. I think it is too often missed.

Anon, I can't help you. I love the dry heat.

Craig said...

Stan, thanks.

Anon, I’m not sure I can help either, beyond noting that CA refugees are moving into all the places that might work. Perhaps one of the Dakotas.

Anonymous said...

My list so far: Wyoming / Utah / Idaho / South Dakota / West Virginia*



* "Poor hillbillies" and all that, sure, but I am open to the charm of some tiny hamlet in the verdant hills.