Like Button

Monday, March 08, 2021

What a Day!

I've recently noted the passing of two family members -- one to COVID and one to cancer. Both knew Jesus, so both are in a better place. So it might seem unnecessasry to mourn their passing. Both are no longer sick, in pain, suffering, any of those unpleasant things -- only good things. Still, we mourn their passing. Paul says told the Thessalonians "not grieve as others do who have no hope." (1 Thess 4:13) That is, he did not say not to grieve; he said we grieve with hope.

Why is that? Well, if we're considering it with sanity, it's not because they died and went to heaven. We're not mourning that they went on ahead. No, it's our loss we mourn. It's their presence with us. It's the ways in which they enriched our lives by being here. And I don't see any problem with that particular reason for mourning their deaths -- our loss.

Two of the very commong things Christians will tell each other in these situations to ease the pain are "They're still watching over us" and "Someday we'll be with them again." As for the first, I don't know. I know that Scripture says that the angels watch, but is there anything in Scripture that suggests the dead in Christ watch? There is that reference to the martyrs who cry out, "O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before You will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?" (Rev 6:10) Does that mean they're watching or does it just mean they're aware that it's not done yet? In Hebrews there is the reference to us being "surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses" (Heb 12:1), but that doesn't mean they are witnessing us, but rather are witnesses to faith (Heb 11) -- reasons for us to trust God. David was certain that his lost child wouldn't return to him (2 Sam 12:23). And, seriously, is it possible for our loved ones to look down on our lives in this sin-sick, tragic world and not have tears? So the jury is still out on that one.

The other one -- "We'll be together again" -- is all well and good, I suppose, but, to tell the truth, I just don't see it. I don't mean I doubt it. My loved ones will be there and I'll be there, so, together! See? But I have trouble imagining being in the unmitigated presence of my Savior and thinking, "I wonder what Mom's doing?" It is my conviction that when I get to heaven my primary focus will not be to catch up with loved ones who went ahead, but to worship with extreme focus the Lord of all.

Paul's comfort to the Thessalonians regarding "those who are asleep" (1 Thess 4:13) (those who have died) was about the return of the King.
For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words. (1 Thess 4:16-18)
Yes, we will be "caught up together with them." Praise God! But "together with them" is not our final destination. Our destination is "to meet the Lord in the air" and to "always be with the Lord." So, as I consider the recent passings of our dear family members and celebrate their going home to glory while we are saddened by our own losses, I won't be comforting myself with "I'll see them again some day." I might be a little jealous -- "to die is gain" -- but my ultimate comfort will be the day when I will always be with the Lord. Oh, what a day that will be!

1 comment:

Craig said...

As I wait for "the day' to come for an old and dear family friend, 94 and in hospice, this subject is on my mind quite a bit.

Given the focus on living the Christian life in community throughout scripture, I can't see anything that would definitively indicate that our earthly community won't have some analogue in Heaven. While I agree that being in the presence of God will overshadow everything we experience, I still can't imagine that our earthly relationships won't be redeemed in the new heaven/new earth we are promised.

As to whether or not our heavenly family and friends can see what happens, I also don't see any specific teaching one way or the other. But, after a conversation with my niece, I talked to a fair amount of pastors/teachers in my circle of friends and the consensus was that they do think that there is some level of awareness of events by those in heaven. It's not something I, or anyone else, is going to get dogmatic about. But I don't have a problem with this belief as being within he scope of orthodox theology.

Ultimately these sorts of things are tough, because they do provide some comfort for those still living, yet it's possible that they don't accurately reflect the reality of heaven.