Like Button

Monday, September 09, 2019

Modern Worship Leaders

In a Patheos article Jonathan Aigner offers a headline sure to irritate most American Christians: 6 Reasons We Don't Need Song Leaders in Worship.

It's strange, of course. I mean, I'm pretty sure Peter and Paul didn't have slick praise bands with cutting edge light shows and that "so cool" lead singer who made the crowd want to flick their Bics. All I really mean to say is that church today is not like church back then. The first church
devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. (Acts 2:42-47)
I'm not suggesting that was the norm, the ideal, the way it is supposed to be. I'm suggesting that it was not what we do today. Nor like Paul described.
What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. (1 Cor 14:26)
My point is not "They're right and we're wrong." My point is that what they did in Scripture is not what we do now. Which means that our modern "worship leader" with band and singers is not some sort of sacrosanct mode of operation for leading worship singing. The question is "Is it good?"

I visited a church that handed out ear plugs. Unasked. "Here, you might need these." Afterwards someone with us actually asked, "Have you had that music checked for dangerous audio levels?" The pastor he asked actually said, "Yes, we have!" (He said it was never more than 95 decibels.) When someone suggested, "It's too bad that your people will never know what it's like to sing with other saints because they can't hear them," he responded with anger. "That's the point! We want our people to be able to sing without being self-conscious!" Fine, but from what I could see no one was singing.

I'm not going to say it's wrong. I'm not going to quibble over musical styles or "sinful music." There is no "sinful chord." Not the point. I am going to ask some questions with which we might be able to analyze whether or not it's a good thing.
  1. Are we participants or consumers?
  2. Who is the audience? The congregation or God?
  3. Who are the performers? The singers up front or the congregation?
  4. Who are we looking at? The One we came to worship or the talent leading it?
I don't know. It strikes me as problematic, shaping our worship of God in the manner of the world's entertainment. It seems confusing to appeal to the emotions of Christians when what they need is a spiritual response. It seems to me that we are looking in the wrong direction -- at the performers rather than the worship. But that's just me. Maybe I'm just old and crotchety. Maybe. But I think it's worth asking the question(s).

12 comments:

Craig said...

One of the great things about the early Church was that they didn’t codify the forms of worship. They were clear on the object of worship, the purpose of worship, and the importance of worship, but vague on the format.

I think this is to allow for cultural differences of believers in a religious movement that was not intended to be homogeneous. It’s why we can worship with believers across nations, languages and cultures even if we can’t understand a word of what’s being said.

I agree that much of modern worship culture can lead away from the focus on God, and should be addressed. But I believe that God can work through all things to reach those He desires to reach.

As to your comment on my post. It’s exceedingly rare that I see a comment that demonstrates my point so well as the one that follows yours.

David said...

I used to attend a church that put their "worship team" behind everyone and just had the lyrics on a screen in front (it was a very small church that couldn't afford hymnals and was renting space at a YMCA).

Stan said...

David, that's the second one I've heard of in the last two days. I like the idea.

Craig said...

David, I also like the idea.

David said...

They even specifically said it was to avoid putting the attention on the ones leading the worship rather than the One deserving the worship.

Marshal Art said...

As one who did time in a church choir, as well as one who is now simply just one more in the pews, I can understand the distraction talent can be.

Regarding the former, I was "drafted" into the choir when someone in the pew in front of me one fine Sunday spoke to the "musical director" (the lady who played the organ and presided over choir practice). I was approached, and despite having to wear the gown, I joined the small merry band of singers. I enjoyed the attention...who wouldn't...but I very much enjoyed blending voices in songs of praise, just as much as I did in the garage bands. At the same time, I was equally pleased with merely being one of the congregation doing the exact same thing.

As to the latter, it is hard not to enjoy talented people "performing" in any context. I can fully understand the draw it has on people who are exposed to their ability. Good singers and musicians are always better than bad singers and musicians...particularly bad singers. No one, in any context, would purposely feature bad singers and musicians to lead anything, including church praise music, were better singers and musicians available. It just doesn't happen.

I wonder how many actually look to worship leaders quite in the way you make it sound. Appreciating talent, and preferring the best talent is a far cry from regarding that talent as the most important thing.

(On a side note, the place I go has good people...lots of them...that serve in "the band". I'm always seeing different people among the "Raylettes", as well as various people on different instruments. It's never so loud that the congregation can't be heard, and...and here's the point of this side note...the pastor pretty much expects that all MUST sing...that all are compelled for reasons I don't recall exactly. I don't bother if I'm unfamiliar with the song, but even in that he expects one to put in the effort. I'm not moved to do so if I don't know or like a song. Just sayin'.)

Craig said...

I do think that you can have many of the same problems with a choir as with a contemporary team. Our choir director is way more about drawing attention to themselves that our contemporary leaders.

Stan said...

Marshal, I would like to think you were right about not being real or, at least, prevalent that people would look to worship leaders as "rock stars" or the like. Unfortunately, there is a growing trend in churches to, in effect, eliminate congregational singing and instead produce a half hour Christian music concert. "Just worship in your heart while they perform." That kind of thing. I'm afraid there is far more of that than you'd like to think.

Craig said...

I’m not saying that you don’t see that sort of thing, but I’m not sure it’s as intentional as you might think.

Stan said...

No, I don't think it's intentional. It's just the natural outcome.

Marshal Art said...

"Unfortunately, there is a growing trend in churches to, in effect, eliminate congregational singing and instead produce a half hour Christian music concert."

I would not at al like that...especially if they're doing my favorite hymns.

Stan said...

Oh, don't worry. The churches that are going that way are definitely not playing your favorite hymns.