Like Button

Sunday, February 28, 2016

No Justice, No Peace

We're an odd lot, we human beings. When faced with something we perceive as "unfair", we'll rise up and cry out against "injustice". "No justice, no peace!" you can hear. We want the books balanced. When do we want it? We want it now! Suggest, then, that God is just, and you'll get all sorts of backpedaling. "Oh, no," we'll say, "that's not fair. Sending people to Hell for Cosmic Treason is not justice." Where's the "No justice, no peace" cry now?

Me? I'm terrified of justice. Oh, from humans, it would be nice, I suppose, but if God gave me what I deserved, well, it wouldn't be pleasant. As the psalmist said, "If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?" (Psa 130:3) Not me. In terms of human justice, perhaps it is true that in the absence of justice there can be no peace, but in terms of our standing before God, I guarantee you justice does not ensure peace. I read the other day that in order for God to remove all evil from the earth, He'd have to wipe out all humanity. Thank God He is merciful!

So I celebrate. I celebrate the point at which God poured out His wrath for me on His Son. I celebrate the moment He made both justice and justification possible. I celebrate His grace and mercy, given in place of His justice. I celebrate the peace of His forgiveness. I don't want "just" from God. Who could stand that? Not me.

No comments: