Like Button

Sunday, February 01, 2015

Psalm 69

I've been spending a lot of time in the Psalms lately. I came across this one. Let's look at Psalm 69.

Have you ever felt this way?
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and the flood sweeps over me. I am weary with my crying out; my throat is parched. My eyes grow dim with waiting for my God (Psa. 69:1-3).
I think all of us have experienced the sense of being up to our necks in trouble. I also think all of us have experienced the feeling that God isn't listening. This is David's feeling at the time. Read the Psalm; it's interesting.

One of the things that makes it interesting is that David spews venom at his adversaries. It's not likely the kind of prayer you'll find coming from the pulpit during the Sunday prayer time.
Let their own table before them become a snare; and when they are at peace, let it become a trap. Let their eyes be darkened, so that they cannot see, and make their loins tremble continually. Pour out Your indignation upon them, and let Your burning anger overtake them. May their camp be a desolation; let no one dwell in their tents (Psa. 69:22-25).
Aw, David, where's the love? Where's the compassion? I mean, do you really want to ask God to make it so not one of them lives? Well, David felt that way and he told God about it. It's called an "imprecatory prayer" and you'll almost never find it in "good Christian" circles. It is a cry for God's justice. The problem, of course, is that most of us wouldn't be able to stand in the face of God's justice. That's not why we don't hear it anymore. We don't hear it because it's not nice, and Christians, like God, are supposed to be nice. I, of course, don't believe that, but most people do. I find it fascinating that God decided that this should be kept as inspired Scripture. So while it needs to be used with caution, I would caution others not to rule it out entirely.

David expresses a fascinating concern in the midst of this psalm:
Let not those who hope in You be put to shame through me, O Lord GOD of hosts; let not those who seek You be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel (Psa. 69:6).
There are many times (more and more, it seems) that I wish people would think of this before they speak on behalf of God or His people. "Don't let me bring dishonor on those who trust in You, O God." We do it so often. We speak without thinking. We act without thinking. We cut people off on the road and leave them with a Jesus sticker to see as the last reminder of who we are. When we suffer, we suffer too often as if God has failed or cannot be trusted. I don't know about you, but I need to concern myself far more often than I do with this: "Let not those who seek You be brought to dishonor through me, O God."

One of the most interesting parts of this psalm, like so many others like it, is the end. There is moaning and groaning about his condition. There is venom toward his enemies. There is repentance for sin. But no matter what David goes through, here is where he always seems to wind up:
I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify Him with thanksgiving. This will please the LORD more than an ox or a bull with horns and hoofs. When the humble see it they will be glad; you who seek God, let your hearts revive. For the LORD hears the needy and does not despise His own people who are prisoners. Let heaven and earth praise Him, the seas and everything that moves in them (Psa. 69:30-34).
No matter what you're feeling, you can express it to God. No matter what you're enduring, you can talk to God about it. No matter what you're suffering, you can bring it to Him. One thing, in the midst of the feelings and sufferings, to remember is this: God will always do what's best. He will always do what's right. He will always be glorified, which cannot be anything but the right and the best. Express yourself to God by all means, but always remember to praise Him. It's a good place to end up.

No comments: