Like Button

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Turnaround Time

For the choir director. A Psalm of David.
How long, O LORD?
Will You forget me forever?
How long will You hide Your face from me?
How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
Having sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long will my enemy be exalted over me?
Consider and answer me, O LORD my God;
Enlighten my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
And my enemy will say, "I have overcome him,"
And my adversaries will rejoice when I am shaken.
But I have trusted in Your lovingkindness;
My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.
I will sing to the LORD,
Because He has dealt bountifully with me (Psa 13).
There are only six verses in this little psalm. Six. The psalm begins with "Will you forget me forever?" and ends with "I will sing to the Lord because He has dealt bountifully with me." In six verses.

I want those six verses. I want that kind of turnaround time, where I go from feeling abandoned to feeling embraced. I want to go that quickly from "Help me!" to rejoicing in the Lord. What's David's secret?

It's not that God did something good. It's not that God answered, eased his fears, saved him from enemies, did anything about the things David was stressed about. Here it is: "But I have trusted in Your lovingkindness." That's the change. That's the turnaround. That's all that was required. Well, now, I guess I can do that.

"But I have trusted in Your lovingkindness;
My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.
I will sing to the LORD,
Because He has dealt bountifully with me."

No comments: