Like Button

Thursday, November 08, 2012

Something to Think About

I think it's pretty clear that I do not think that electing Obama for a second term (or, in fact, a first term) was a good idea. If I left that in doubt, let me clear it up. Not a good thing. The president's agenda thus far has included advancing the cause of abortion, diminishing marriage, increasing sexual sin, theft through unwarranted taxation, and so on. These are not classified as "good". Indeed, I think it is clear that they would be classified as "evil" in my book.

However, you must remember: I stood and still stand on the Sovereignty of God. I believe, in fact, that nothing happens without God's express permission -- His will. I do believe that God ordains evil, allowing it in order to accomplish His purposes which, by definition, would be good. Evil remains evil, but God is able to use it ("intend it") for good. Indeed, I am convinced (because my Bible is abundantly clear on this point) that "there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God" (Rom 13:1). Taking the worst possible evil government that comes to mind, then, I would conclude that Stalin or Mao or Hitler were all "instituted by God". Just because Obama's agenda is less egregious than theirs doesn't diminish the fact that God put Him there.

One objection might be, then, "Why are you cast down?" You know, if it's all God's will, why be upset about it? Well, rationally, it is perfectly reasonable to understand and concur that God's will is at work and will be for good while still recognizing that it will be painful and difficult and ... upsetting. If you disagree, I'll stand in line behind Jeremiah and Jesus for you to correct. Jeremiah wrote Lamentations knowing that the judgment on Israel was God's work. It still hurt. Jesus prayed in the garden, "If it be possible, let this cup pass from Me," while still relying on God's will. It's human to hurt. It's not a bad thing.

I know, then, that God is Sovereign and has even instituted another round of leadership for a president that is proving himself to be an agent of evil. I know that it is, in the final analysis, good. I don't know what that final good is. But consider this. Generally speaking, when the authority that God institutes is an evil authority, He does it for purposes of judgment. It's not "blessing" or "joy", but judgment. It may be a temporary judgment or the demise of a nation, but it is judgment. So, what is the proper response when God brings judgment to a people?

Is it "Let's get out the vote next time!"? No, not really. Is it "Let's rally our cause and take back Washington!"? Can't find that in Scripture either. There is a singular proper response to God's judgment. That is repentance.

Repentance is not "feel bad". It is a change of heart. It is a change of direction. It is an awareness of genuine sin in our lives that cries out to be addresses, repudiated, and removed. What sin? Well, that's your concern. I can see potentials. We didn't care enough about our neighbors to be lights in the darkness. We didn't shine the Gospel in our corner of the world. We have been too much "friends with the world". Our good works have not reflected glory on our Father. Just some starters to consider. But we all have them and the proper response is not to rally the troops. It is to get ourselves right with God and to urge all around us to do the same. The Lord told Solomon, "If My people who are called by My name humble themselves, and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land" (2 Chron 7:14). This was a promise made to Solomon, to Israel. I'm not suggesting we have the same promise. It should be obvious, however, that if we, as adopted children of God, humble ourselves, pray, seek His face, and turn from sin, it could only be a good thing. On the other hand, if we see the current government (instituted by God) as a reason for pride, a reason to rally, a point of contention, and a possible cause for questioning God's wisdom, surely it's clear that this would not be a good thing.

Repentance for judgment or rally for rights. You choose. Something to think about.

14 comments:

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I think God gave this country the President we deserve.

Stan said...

I'm quite sure of that. My question is how much of that is on us? How much is due to our failures (read "sin")? How much is due to our lackadaisical attitudes? Worse, how much have Christians bought in to? (Judging by the numbers of Christians who voted for Obama by direct vote, not voting, or voting for a third party, it's too many to be comfortable with.)

Anonymous said...

I will guess that the black Christian vote went for Obama at more 90 percent.

Stan said...

I found breakdowns for black and for Christian, but not for black Christian. Can't say.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I think Christians have a lot to answer to, because for the most part the Church as a whole has accepted and adopted the world's ways and is no longer the light exposing the darkness.

The Church allows so much aberrational, heretical and other false teaching to go unexposed for fear of "causing division" that a large percentage of Christians have no idea what the Faith really teaches or the worldview it expects of them. And so they follow every wind of doctrine and play marbles with the World. And then wonder why the world is going amok.

Stan said...

I would agree with you wholeheartedly ... except I don't think I'd use a capital "C" on that "Church" since to me the Church (capital C) refers to the invisible Body of Christ -- that genuine universal collection of true believers, not polluted by tares among the wheat.

But, then, that's just me. :)

The current "church" to which you rightly refer -- that one that loves the world -- is not the Church that belongs to God (1 John 2:15).

David said...

A small part of me wanted Obama to win, just to advance the coming judgment. This has been a long time coming. I remember in my Christian classes, when we talked about end times, the question of where America would be in all of it would come up, since most of the other major world powers are eluded to, why not America. My thought had always been, "We got ourselves judged right out of being a world power." That was over 15 years ago. Yes, when judgment comes, it won't be easy, on non-believers and believers alike. But I believe it will be that purifying fire that removes the chaff from the wheat. It will highlight the true believers from the antichrists. The luke warm will be spewed out and the true Children will be refined.

Don't get me wrong, I like the freedoms I have, and when they go, I will miss them dearly, but the advancement of God's kingdom must be paramount, and if that means the Church becomes "underground" then so be it. Historically, that has been when the Church has been the most influential anyway.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

We won't advance or slow down God's coming judgement. He has his plan for when things will take place and nothing we can do will change it. All we can do is to do our best to follow what God wants of us in our own lives. But when it comes to politics, we must still be wise as to who we hire to do the job. You certainly wouldn't want to employ someone who will ruin your business.

David said...

Glenn, while ultimately we have no say in how things work out, I believe we are integral in the process. God uses us to get His job done. So, our actions and choices directly impact the coming judgment, otherwise a call for righteousness would be meaningless.

Marshal Art said...

Coincidentally Stan, I was thinking of this very notion regarding myself, more for refuge rather than to compel God's favor on the nation. I certainly have much of which I indeed should repent. Part of my thought involved the fact that I don't really represent what I believe (mostly because I'm lazy) and perhaps my "preaching" might have been more persuasive had I been more representative. I really believe the things I put forth as convictions while not always living them. I fear, however, that so does the opposition, and my repentance, while still the direction I will move will still be insufficient to inspire others. No matter. I'll do what I can to strengthen my resolve to be holy because He is holy and leave the effectiveness of my influence to Him.

Stan said...

Just on the side with David and Glenn, whether we "speed up" or "slow down" or "have no effect" on God's judgment (however any of those terms might be applied), I would suggest that cooperating with God would be a good idea.

Stan said...

Marshall Art, I tried specifically to minimize the "get something from God" concept (as you have) and aim more toward "do what's right" in terms of repentance and obedience. I think of the three guys in Daniel who, faced with fire, said, "Our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the furnace of blazing fire; and He will deliver us out of your hand, O king. But even if He does not, let it be known to you, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods" (Dan 3:17-18). "He is able" followed by "even if He does not". That's what I want to do. Follow God, understanding that He is able to do really good things for us, but allowing Him to do whatever He wills knowing that's the best.

I don't really know if living my life as a genuine reflection of Christ in my world can produce a change in my world. I do know that failing to live that accurate reflection is bad. So I'd like to reflect Christ properly and let Him use that as He will. That would include standing against sin (as Jesus did) while expressing love (as opposed to standing against sin without expressing love or being so "loving" that I don't stand against sin). So I'm going to aim toward a life that is a better reflection of Christ than it has been.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Cooperating with God and doing His will is one thing. Thinking that what we are doing will speed up or slow down God's program is something else.

Dominionists, for example, think we have to take over the world for Christ - Christianize the world, so Christ can come back. This, of course, is unbiblical nonsense.

Marshal Art said...

Indeed. Past performance indicates I'm not up to the task. May He grant us both the strength.