Like Button

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Birthday Party

Some of my closest friends came by one day and told me, "We've decided to celebrate your birthday." I was a bit baffled for the moment, but they explained further. "Well, you never told us when your birthday actually was, but we are very grateful for your friendship. Therefore, we've agreed -- your friends -- to mark May 3rd as your birthday and celebrate your arrival on this planet. We'd love it if you came."

Well, I was touched, really. It was such a kind gesture. Such a warm sentiment. So I arrived on May 3rd as previously arranged. Several people noticed me and wished me a happy birthday. Most were caught up in the experience, but that was okay. It was really quite a crowd, and that indeed seemed like a real statement of gratitude. They had some good food and a nice cake (no candles) and they sang some songs and then came the gifts. I looked around the room and it looked like just about everyone was holding something. "Oh, my," I thought, "this is amazing." I had no idea just how amazing it was. One by one they came up with their gifts ... and handed them to one another. "We do this in remembrance of your birthday," they told me warmly.

This went on for a few years. I was torn between being flattered that they would gather every year just for my birthday and being confused about the gifts they gave each other without a single though to me. But, okay, that was how they chose to do it. Fine. It wasn't my celebration; it was theirs. They liked party hats, so party hats became part of the event. A bunch of them enjoyed horses, and horses liked sugar cubes and apples, so sugar cubes and apples became part of the event. An extremely popular fictional character on a TV show loved balloons at his birthday, so they became part of the event. Eventually, they couldn't even imagine my birthday celebration without sugar cubes and balloons, even though I've never expressed favor for any of it. It was their celebration.

One year, however, I invited them all to my house on May 3rd. "Hey, everyone," I said, "why not come over to my house? I have the room. I'm naturally there. Seems like it would be a natural place to celebrate my birthday." Well, they hemmed and hawed. Several said they'd come, but most kicked at the ground a bit and complained that if they came to my house, they wouldn't be able to meet with their friends and family. No, it would be better if they celebrated where they wished because, after all, getting together with friends and family and exchanging gifts like that was really what celebrating my birthday was all about, wasn't it?

You know, it has been years and I still haven't figured out this "birthday celebration" thing yet. It gets more and more elaborate. Sometimes I don't bother showing up at all. Doesn't seem to disturb them, though. They still say, "Happy Birthday!" to each other and give each other nice things. I frankly don't get it.

4 comments:

Marshal Art said...

So, whad're ya sayin'? You don't like Christmas?

Stan said...

Well, not the Christmas that has come to pass. I'm actually repeating what I said earlier and expanding on the notion. I've actually seen people celebrate Christ's birth on Christmas. It's just so rare as to be considered ridiculous by most.

Sherry said...

This is very good, Stan. I think I'm going to read it to my family on Christmas day. Also, I think parts of it will probably stay with me for life. For life? Yep!

Submit. Submit, I say! Submit it to some magazine for publication. Please consider? Me thinks this needs to be seen by many more eyes.

Indeed, it IS a strange birthday celebration when its original and supposed guest of honor need not be present or even acknowledged in order for it to proceed merrily along. And everyone receives multiple gifts, everyone but him. Hmmm...

Stan said...

I'll get right on submitting it ... except I don't know where. No one I know will take an unrequested article. But thanks.