Like Button

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Thanks

I was listening to the radio the other day on the way home from work and came across a call-in show. The topic was "Who was your favorite teacher?" Okay. I gave it a mental shot. Funny thing -- I couldn't come up with a name. It wasn't that I didn't remember my teachers. I did. It wasn't that I had lousy teachers. I didn't. It wasn't that I didn't like school. School was fine. It seems that I had a lot of good teachers, and picking a favorite was too hard to do.

It was a moment to reflect, a moment to be grateful. In this world where "dysfunctional" is considered the norm, I had a pretty good childhood, a pretty good life. I have three siblings and I get along with all three. All are married, and I get along just fine with their spouses. I have two living parents -- only two ... no "step" parents -- and I have a wonderful relationship with them. I have a good wife who makes me happy every day. I had it good, and I still do.

My parents taught me when I was growing up without tormenting me. They held a high standard and made sure I met it. They required obedience and loved me regardless. I got a spanking or two, always deserved, but not so many that I need more than two hands to count them. I learned basic necessities like spelling and arithmetic. I learned absolute necessities, being rooted and grounded in the Word. It was a good childhood.

Oh, sure, there have been ups and downs. I had my rebellious period. That served to wake me up to my own stupidity. I've had some serious blows in life, some that knocked me down, but none that knocked me out. There have been stresses and strains ... but it is my sincere suspicion that mine pale in comparison to most other people. All in all, it has been a good life.

We don't look back too often. Life's pressures, past hurts, difficulties, tribulations, just everyday living seem to get in the way. But it's worth it sometimes for me. I get a chance to say, "Thank you" to a Father who looked out for me at every turn, even when I was a prodigal son. He gifted me with wonderful parents, a great set of siblings, an excellent wife, and great children. It serves us well, occasionally, to look back and trace the hand of God in our lives. It teaches us, in the hubbub of life, to be grateful more often than we naturally tend to be.

No comments: