Like Button

Monday, September 04, 2006

Invisible Man


I’m sure I’m not alone in this. I’m sure there are lots of you who can relate. So I thought I’d voice what many of you probably feel.

Ever feel invisible?

In a TV show I was watching recently, one of the characters makes loud suggestions, only to be completely ignored. He says (to himself), “Okay, now, should I use my invisibility for good … or for evil?”

In the musical Chicago, Roxie is accused of murdering her lover. Her husband stands by her throughout, but suddenly realizes that she doesn’t really notice him at all. He sings his solo, Mister Cellophane, which includes these lyrics:

If someone stood up in a crowd
And raised his voice up way out loud
And waved his arm
And shook his leg
You'd notice him.

If someone in a movie show
Yelled "fired in the second row,
This whole place is a powder keg!"
You'd notice him.

And even without clucking like a hen
Everyone gets noticed, now and then,
Unless, of course, that personage should be
Invisible, inconsequential me!

In the 80’s, a Christian musical group called Prodigal had a song called Invisible Man, all about how the “important” people seem to miss the everyday people.

Invisibility -- many of us suffer from it. We feel unimportant, unnoticed, unappreciated. We feel like we don’t make a difference, like no one cares. We’re wrong about that.

Jesus said, “The very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows” (Matt. 12:7).

Because we don’t have Jesus physically standing over our shoulder, it is easy for us to think “I’m invisible. I’m unimportant, unnoticed, unappreciated.” It’s a lie. The God of the universe notices the very hairs on your head, notices when a sparrow falls, and you are more valuable than many sparrows. When you tell yourself that lie, don’t listen.

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Good post. My wife isn't good at multi-tasking so when she's doing one thing and can't hear me I feel this way. But I love her one track mind, though. When she focuses on me she really focuses on me. :)