Like Button

Sunday, December 05, 2021

Mine

It seems like one of the first words a child learns. It is certainly one of the first impulses. We believe from birth that things are "mine!" In order to share them we have to be trained, but we still don't relinquish ownership. "You can play with it, but, remember, it's mine!" We believe it is my body, my home, my time, my stuff, even my God. "Mine" comes quickly to our minds even if we learn to guard our lips. And it is the concept of "mine" that produces no end of troubles.

When you boil it down, the primary cause of most anger is the belief that something of mine has been taken. Generally, it's a perceived right. "You can't talk to me that way!" Because I have a right to be respected. "You can't treat me that way!" Because I have a right to be treated well. Hidden, unrealized rights produce real wrath. Even if it's not expressed, the perception that "You are wasting my time," for instance, can make us fume for too long. Because it's "mine." We already know the ramifications of "My body, my choice." It means a baby is going to die. "Mine" can cause a host of problems ... and sins.

Here's the thing. It's not true, you know? It's not "mine." On the surface, some of it may appear to be so. "I worked for it, I earned it, I bought it. It's mine." But most (if not all) of it doesn't work like that. Paul wrote, "What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?" (1 Cor 4:7). God declares that all things are His (Job 41:11). As Abraham Kuyper wrote, "There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry: 'Mine!'"

Imagine what a difference it would make if we ceased viewing "what is mine" as "mine" and started viewing it all as His. Imagine if we saw all that we have and are as a stewardship, possessions of God that we are tasked with managing for a short time here. Think of the impact that would have on relationships. Think how that would diminish so many conflicts that are predicated on "I have a right to _____ and you're taking it away." Think of the shift it would make in priorities and preferences. Picture how that would change the center of our individual universes to orient them around the Owner rather than the steward.

But, don't worry. We won't. We will continue to cling to the irrational "mine" and complain when my "mine" crosses others "mine." We will still cling to what we believe to be ours without any logical reason to assume that the God of the universe has suddenly and unilaterally decided that it is no longer His. And then we'll wonder why life can be so hard.

No comments: