Like Button

Friday, February 28, 2020

That's Not Love

I've seen and heard too many of these stories. The guy beats his wife or girlfriend and, when she threatens to leave, comes to her in tears. "But ... I love you!" And I think, "That's a weird definition of love." I've seen people who "love their kids" while they abuse them or ignore them (I'm not sure which is worse) or spoil them. They "love their kids" while they destroy their lives. Seems like a strange concept of love.

I've seen it too many times, even in myself, where we say, "I love Jesus" and then we blatantly ignore Him. Jesus said, "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments" (John 14:15), but apparently we know better. We can love Him and ignore His commands and wishes. And I think, "That's a weird definition of love." I've heard people say, "I love Jesus" who don't spend time with His people, don't spend time in His Word, don't spend any effort talking to or for Him, and don't do anything for Him.

To me -- mind you, to me, because, after all, you might think differently -- that's not love. But, hey, that's just me.

2 comments:

Craig said...

I guess I'd add that encouraging someone to follow their feelings into something that's harmful, or to celebrate someone making a choice that's harmful, probably isn't love either.

Stan said...

Exactly.