Like Button

Friday, January 03, 2020

What Does Your Mouth Tell You?

Have you ever said something and then followed it with, "I'm only kidding" ... except, you really weren't? Have you ever heard stuff coming out of your mouth that shocked you? "Where did that come from?" Have you ever said things you regret and tried to find a way to erase it somehow?

The Bible is clear. We have a problem with our tongues. James describes the tongue as "a restless evil and full of deadly poison" (James 3:8). He wrote, "For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well" (James 3:2). David wrote, "Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!" (Psa 141:3). Our mouths are an issue. But Jesus had something ... odd to say about it.

Jesus said, "It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person" (Matt 15:11). That's strange. But He explains "What comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person" (Matt 15:18). Oh, now, that's interesting.

It's interesting because we are told to guard our mouths (Psa 39:1). We are commanded, "Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving" (Eph 5:4). We are told, "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear" (Eph 4:29). We have some instructions here, but based on what Jesus said, "Work harder at it" isn't the answer. "What comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart."

So what does my mouth say about me? It says that there are some issues with my heart. By some of the things that come out of my mouth -- crude jokes or unwholesome words or other bad options -- it says that sometimes I've got sin in my heart that needs to be addressed. My mouth says that I need a clean heart and a right spirit (Psa 51:10). And the fact that it comes up far more often than I would like or even that I realize says that that should be my constant prayer. Because "try harder" doesn't solve the problem of a corrupted heart exhibited in what I say. And it's my suspicion that I'm not alone in this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was eating lunch in a fast-food place in December when a family came in to eat at the next table over. I heard the oldest male (the father I presume) casually say something to them that included a word that some people abbreviate as mf'er. Minutes later he was telling them about what it means to him to be a Christian. They happened to be black, but I'm sure that kind of talk is making inroads into the nonblack Christian community as well.

Stan said...

I understand what you're saying and pointing fingers is really easy these days, but I'm hoping we're checking our own mouths and not to merely curb out tongues -- to find out what's wrong with our hearts.

Marshal Art said...

When I express to others that I consider myself Christian, I have to also say, "I know I don't talk like one, but as a trucker, I couldn't get my CDL if I did." Then we all have a good laugh. Quitting the ciggies is easier than quitting the cussing.