Like Button

Wednesday, July 03, 2019

Sanctify Christ?

We've talked before (more than once) about 1 Peter 3:15. You know, how we're to always be prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for the reason for the hope that is in you. I've even pointed out that we're supposed to do it "with gentleness and respect." But we've always glossed over the first phrase. And since this is the end of a sentence, let's look at it all.
Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but sanctify Christ in your hearts... (1 Peter 3:14-15)
Now that's a strange phrase, isn't it? To "sanctify" is to "set apart; to make holy."

The text is actually a quote pulled out of Isaiah.
"You are not to fear what they fear or be in dread of it. Sanctify the LORD of hosts Himself. And He shall be your fear, And He shall be your dread." (Isa 8:12-13)
So this isn't a Pauline thing. That Isaiah reference is a quote from God.

How do you "sanctify" God? I mean, He's already holy, right? Well, the term is based on the original Hebrew concept that is more at "other" than "holy." It refers to "set apart" and the idea is along the lines of things like "set apart for God" or "set apart from sin" or the like ... which correspond to our idea of "holy." The real concept, however, is "set apart." So, how can we sanctify God (in Isaiah) or Christ (in 1 Peter)? Well, we certainly don't do it by making them holy. They already are (Isa 6:1-4; Rev 4:8-9). The idea, then, is to set Him apart in our lives, in our existence, in our thoughts, hearts, emotions, in our practices. The context (in Peter's epistle) is suffering. "If you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed" (1 Peter 3:14). The context in Isaiah is the dangers of avoiding sin (Isa 8:11-12). (People won't like you if you avoid sin.) In both cases, suffering is in view and in both cases we are not to fear them; we are to fear God. We are to set Him apart in our lives as the utmost, the highest, that which is most feared, revered, respected, and trusted.

So, how are you doing in that? I am a person under construction. I have not arrived. I need to make this a constant practice. Christ first. Christ last. Christ always. I need to make Him my primary concern, my highest trust, my ultimate resting place, my life's goal. The outcome will be that I don't need to fear the world around me, the people in it, my culture, my surroundings, not because there is no danger, but because they aren't my biggest concern. He is. If I can get to that kind of singular-mindedness, I will have sanctified Christ in my heart. That's my aim. That's my hope. Oh, hey, that's what he said, right? Be prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for the reason for your hope? When Christ is sanctified in my heart, He is my hope. Got it.

No comments: