Like Button

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

An Opinion on Rules

I'm told that I'm too reliant on God's Word. I'm told that it's not a book of rules, that it's not really a rule for life. It's just ... oh, I don't know ... guidance, suggestions, ideas, possibilities. You do what you think is best.

This seems right to many, but I have a hard time correlating that idea with passages like this:
I am writing these things to you so that, if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth. (1 Tim 3:14-15)
It doesn't sound like Paul was writing these things (Remember, Peter refers to Paul's writings as Scripture (2 Peter 3:15-16) with a "do what you think is best" intent. It sounds like he meant "I'm writing these things so you may know how to behave." It sounds like ... rules.

But, hey, I could be wrong. It's just my opinion, right?

5 comments:

Craig said...

Short, sweet, to the point and a bullseye, it doesn't get much better than this.

Craig said...

Off topic, but the Bee's post about the modern day "good Samaritan", is probably uncomfortably close to reality for a lot of folx.

Stan said...

Entirely off topic. Rules about how we should act are not acceptable.

Craig said...

Off topic, but hilarious. Like I said, probably more than a little truth there.

Hope I’m not breaking any rules by going off topic.

Craig said...

I've always thought that using the term rules was a subtle way to minimize the seriousness of what God wants us to do. The reality is that commands or commandments are a better term in my opinion. After all we're talking about the creator of the universe, that almighty God, and it just seems like equating what He tells us to what a board game manufacturer comes up with slightly devalues God and His authority.