Like Button

Wednesday, October 03, 2018

Becoming Myself

Today's society largely worships "self" as the ultimate. "Oh, yeah," some will counter, "we've heard that, too. Don't be ridiculous. You're just overstating things." Maybe, but I'm talking about clear and present language you hear every day. "You've got to be yourself," they tell us. "Embrace yourself." "The greatest love of all us learning to love yourself." I mean, "self" is at the very core of the whole "self-esteem" push. It's also at the bottom of every encouragement we receive to "pursue your dreams," "if it feels good, do it," and "don't let anything get in the way of your goals." "Be all you can be."

Now, if I'm honest, I do not think this is new, a product of "modern society" as opposed to prior times. I'm not arguing that it's moreso than before. I'm saying it's more open than before, but not more present. The fundamental sin of the human being is "Me!" "I will be like the Most High!" Self-centeredness is our core problem.

Now, we would all agree that in much of life we're trying to control self. It is okay in this venue, but not in that. When Madonna gave a eulogy for Aretha Franklin and it was all about Madonna, people weren't impressed. We need to control ourselves in our interactions with people to get along. And we're all pretty aware of the fact that there are certain conditions in which individuals lose that control. One is obviously drunkeness. Another is commonly old age. Well, perhaps better put, dementia. As the mind starts to lose its memory and thinking skills, the inherent inhibitions that accompany those things are dropped. Studies indicate that it is brain shrinkage. Fine. But what we see is ... who they are. When the inhibitions are down, the real person comes out.

I don't want to be like that when I get old. Well, okay, I'm already old, but when I get to that condition. How do I avoid it? I do not avoid it by "becoming myself," by "embracing self," by "loving myself." Self is the problem. What I need is to be a "self" that is not like that. And that only comes by the work of the Spirit in a sinful heart to be more closely conformed to the image of Christ (Rom 8:28-29). Maybe I'd better get on the stick and cooperate more with Him in His work, because I don't want to be that grumpy old man who expresses a self that would embarrass the "me" who is now if I was aware of it. Worse, I don't want to bring embarrassment to my Savior. I don't want to become myself. I want to become more like Him.

6 comments:

Bob said...

when playing the violin it is important to focus on the music, and when a note is missed, simply play on.. the music sounds best when are less aware of ourselves and more focused on the melody. when we sit at the feet of the master we should lose ourselves in the wonder of his presence.
when people know that they are truly loved, they tend to love others without reservation. but when people suffer abuse, they tend to dislike themselves. as a consequence they may dislike others as well. self esteem goes more to ego to prop up self confidence.
whereas knowing that we are loved by God despite our low estate, helps us to have a healthy love for our selves and makes it easier to sincerely love others.
perfect love cast out all fear....

Stan said...

Sammy Davis Jr. sang, "I've gotta be me!" I don't want to be me. I want to be something more, something better. I want to be tuned in to the Master, not myself.

Doug Evans said...

This may or may not be a problem but: no matter where you go, there you are.

Stan said...

I know! And I've tried to lose me, but I just keep following me. So my hope is that the "me" that hangs around me will be a better me than the "me" I am.

Marshal Art said...

I think most of the time, or perhaps the original intention of this "self" narrative is more a matter of not pretending one is what one isn't. "Be yourself" when dating, for example, is mean to be honest so as not to deceive the object of one's affections, only to have the truth come out later where the other person feels deceived.

But the concept goes way off the rails when notions of "my" truth are expressed that are meant to deny one's obligation to rise above immoral/sinful desires and their attendant behaviors. As you say, to "be myself" can be a really bad thing given one's sin nature. Far better to aspire to be a better person, more a reflection of Christ than a manifestation of anything else.

Stan said...

It seems to me that the current mode of "be yourself" is not "be who you are," but "embrace who you are." The idea seems to be universally "Whoever you are, it is good and you should be happy about it." No filtering. No standards. No "unless you're a pedophile" or anything like that. Well, I suppose if you're a Christian they might urge you not to "be yourself."