Like Button

Monday, June 18, 2018

The Jesus I Know

I have a relationship with Jesus Christ. That is what defines me as a Christian. I value this relationship, so I pursue it, nurture it, enjoy it, embrace it. I look at the Word of God to learn about the Word made flesh. I seek to obey Him more because He said if I love Him I will obey Him. This is a big part of my life, this relationship.

Then I hear others who have this relationship. Christian music, Christian speakers, Christian bloggers, Christian "social media" -- all contribute to the view that all those others have of their relationship with Jesus. And sometimes I wonder, do I know the same Jesus?

Many of the songs they sing about Jesus can only be described as "Jesus is my boyfriend" songs. Remove references to Jesus (sometimes you don't even have to do that) and you could sing it to any lover. (I actually heard one Christian musician sing Paul McCartney's Maybe I'm Amazed (which regularly substitutes "baby" for "maybe" in the lyrics) as if it was a love song to Jesus.) Others speak of a smiling, even a laughing Jesus. He's a nice guy, the friend of sinners. No judgmentalism here; He just loves everybody. He's not concerned about your sin; He just wants to love and encourage you. He is, above all, the meek and mild Jesus. He'd never hurt a fly, let alone you. A really, really nice fellow. A mellow fellow.

My Jesus has many similar characteristics. He loves me. (He died for me -- the ultimate love.) He cares about my well-being, saves and empowers me, provides for my needs. But theirs seems to lack some that mine has. Mine, for instance, has some harsh things to say. Their Jesus is an all-welcoming, all-embracing, "can't we just get along" Jesus but mine, on occasion, can be seen in the Temple with a whip (John 2:14-17). Theirs judges not, but mine declares, "Unless you repent, you will all likewise perish." (Luke 13:1-5) Theirs just takes everyone in, no questions asked, and mine says things like "Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not see the kingdom" (Matt 5:20) and "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62) Theirs is as friendly as a puppy with no real demands, but mine commands, "If anyone would come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me." (Matt 16:24) Their Jesus is all about warm feelings and love, but mine demands, "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple." (Luke 14:26) Absolutely, my Jesus loves me, but not in some mushy, semi-romantic way. He loves me enough to say, "O you of little faith." (Matt 6:30; 8:26; 16:8) Their Jesus loves them enough to embrace them with their sin and mine loves me enough to chastise me out of it.

I'm not saying that their Jesus is all wrong. It just seems like their Jesus is only one of the dimensions of the Jesus I know. I'm pretty sure they know Jesus, too. I'm just not sure why He's not the same Jesus I know.

6 comments:

David said...

Maybe they're still in that infatuation phase where all they can see are the light, fluffy side and block out the "less appealing" stuff, and you've been in love with Him long enough to embrace Him fully.

Marshal Art said...

Yet "they" will say that their Jesus does all the same things. It's when you pin them down on specifics that things diverge. "They" are so concerned with ambiguous notions of right and wrong, rejecting the very specific behaviors against which Scripture teaches, rationalizing their divergence with silly "not a rule book" arguments that are very convenient for them. "They" worship a god and a christ that operates on "their" terms, not one who would dare impose terms on "them". (What's with the scare quotes?) That is, except for "love"...whatever that means.

Stan said...

That sounds reasonable in some cases, David.

Yes, Marshal, all those scare quotes. Kind of scary to read. (Not really)

Craig said...

I think there is some degree where we all cast Jesus in our own image, it seems pretty natural, yet it’s wrong.

What we’re seeing more of, is casting Jesus as if he was defined by our pet political and social issues. We’re seeing this trend of people saying that Jesus would support this or that, without any biblical indication that He would. I tend to think that Jesus’ response to any of the hot button issues would be different that we would think it would be.

Stan said...

Is it a difference between the Jesus as revealed in Scripture versus the Jesus as revealed in my preferences?

Craig said...

It’s certainly that, but more. It’s placing selfish preference over everything else and being unwilling to show humility.