Like Button

Thursday, March 08, 2018

I Believe

Everyone has beliefs. There are scientific beliefs, societal beliefs, political beliefs, religious beliefs, even personal beliefs. Someone once quipped, "I have beliefs. Like, right now ... I believe I'll have another beer." The fact that everyone has beliefs is unavoidable and even necessary. The real question is whether or not those beliefs are true, valid, right. Because I'm quite certain that every one of us holds dearly to some beliefs that are just plain wrong.

The question, then, is the origin of the belief. Where does it come from and is it true? If the belief comes from truth, then it is true. (See? They don't all me "Captain Obvious" for nothing.) (For the record, no one calls me "Captain Obvious.") So we need to determine the source of our beliefs so we can determine if we're believing truth or a lie. For me, the best source available for truth is Scripture. It comes from God (2 Tim 3:16-17) who cannot lie (Num 23:19; Titus 1:2; Heb 6:18). It comes from the Omniscient God (Psa 147:4-5; Psa 139:1-4, 16; Matt 10:30; 1 Peter 1:20; 1 John 3:20). So I am convinced that the best source for beliefs is God and His Word. As a consequence, here are some of the things I believe ... that might not be patently obvious.

I believe that it God has limitations. There are things God cannot do. I already said He is unable to lie (Num 23:19; Titus 1:2; Heb 6:18). There is more. He cannot fail (Jer 32:17). He cannot break a promise (Psa 89:34; Heb 6:18). He cannot die or cease to be (the definition of "eternal") (Deut 33:27; Psa 90:2; Isa 90:6; Isa 40:28; Rom 16:26; 1 Tim 6:16; Heb 9:14) He cannot get tired (Isa 40:28). One thing God never runs out of is love (Psa 103:19). I believe, then, in the Triune God of the Bible. As such, the Creator of all (Gen 1:1; John 1:3) affects every aspect of life, both for believers and unbelievers.

I believe that we all sin (Rom 3:23), even after we're forgiven (1 John 1:9), and that to deny that makes God a liar (1 John 1:8, 10). I believe the default condition of humans is that of sinner (Gen 8:21; Psa 51:5; Psa 58:3; 1 Kings 8:46; Rom 3:10-12). In this condition ("dead in sin" - Eph 2:1-3), I believe that humans are naturally deceived (Jer 17:9), incapable (that is the right word) of understanding the things of God (1 Cor 2:14), and by nature hostile to God (Rom 8:7). He can't enter the kingdom of God (John 3:5); he cannot even see the kingdom of God (John 3:3). As such, Natural Man justly deserves eternal punishment (Matt 25:41, 46; Mark 9:42-48; John 3:18; Rev 20:10) and is desperately in need of a Savior. (That is, I believe that God is rightly wrathful against sin and those who commit it (Rom 1:18; John 3:36; Rom 9:22).) The spiritual condition of Man affects every aspect of life, both for believers and unbelievers.

I believe that Jesus saves. ("Oh, now that one is patently obvious, Stan.") I believe He alone saves, which would also mean that He saved in both the Old and New Testaments (John 14:6; Acts 4:12). I believe His death on the cross was payment made in our place (Isa 53:4-6; Rom 5:8-10; 2 Cor 5:21; 1 Peter 2:24; 1 John 2:2) sufficient to cover all sin (Rom 3:24-25; Rom 5:9; 1 Tim 2:5-6; 1 John 1:7; Heb 10:10) and applies to all who believe (John 3:16). In His effectual sacrifice God is both Just and justifier (Rom 3:26).

I believe that good works on the part of believers is an effect rather than a cause, a result rather than an effort (Eph 2:10), produced with our cooperation with God's work within us (Phil 2:12-13). As such, our good works are certain (Those born of God cannot make a continual practice of sin - 1 John 3:9.) and glorify God (Matt 5:16) (rather than ourselves).

That's a sampling, a few examples. My aim is to conform my beliefs to God's Word. Where I deviate from His Word, I aim to correct them. Where I agree with His Word, I must stand. I understand that this is a radical approach for many and will certainly produce unexpected beliefs in some cases (because if there is a God who is not Man and we are sinners, He will certainly be "other" in some cases and we will be wrong - Rom 12:2). Understand, then, that I believe the Bible. If what I believe is clearly there and you disagree with me, you're disagreeing, I suppose, with either my premise ("The Bible is God's Word and, as such, to be believed and followed.") or with God's Word. I thought it might be helpful to clear up the question, "Where does Stan come up with these things?"

8 comments:

David said...

You should write your own catechism.

Stan said...

Yeah, right.

Craig said...

You should. Clearly you know beyond a shadow of a doubt what all the right answers are and you could easily share that amazing knowledge with the rest of us. Then you could do magic.

In all seriousness, there are probably ample good Orthodox catechisms out there for progressive Christians to ignore.

Stan said...

Exactly (on both counts).

Craig said...

And humble too.

David said...

But if you wrote your own catechism, you could have it available any time to link to when someone asks you what you believe.

Stan said...

Yeah, I see that, but I've never had anyone ask me generally, "What do you believe?" It has always been specific -- "What do you believe about this?" And that always requires a specific answer not likely covered in a personal Statement of Faith.

Bob said...

i see the same argument method over and over. it always start out with the statement" so you believe, ect. the fact is that despite what ever Stan say's, it matters not what he believes. in fact Stan never places his belief above the scriptures. to point the argument at Stan personally is a just an argumentative device. Stan's position derives from the question, 'what do the scriptures actually say?" this is the place of the real battle ground. false Christians love to argue about the Man, but seldom if ever do they believe what the scriptures declare.
Who has believed our message? to whom has the Arm of the Lord been Revealed?