Like Button

Sunday, October 08, 2017

They'll Know We Are Christians

In Antioch the disciples were first called Christians. (Acts 11:26)
We call ourselves "Christians", but why? As it turns out, the term "Christian" (or "Christians") appears a total of three times in the pages of Scripture. All indications are that the references in Acts (Acts 11:26; Acts 26:28) were actually intended as insults. Even when Peter uses the term (1 Peter 4:16), it isn't entirely positive. What else, then? Paul's overwhelming preference was "in Christ". He used it some 86 times in his epistles (plus potentially another in Hebrews). Peter used it 3 times in his first epistle. Rather than "Christian", it appears that describing us as "in Christ" might be better.

What is the difference, if any?

"Christian" is generally defined as "a follower of Christ" (although today's version is much less rigid ... something like, "I like the nice things that I've heard about Jesus" or "It's something I heard we were when I was a kid" or the like). "Follower of Christ" is fine. However, "in Christ" has a somewhat difference emphasis. "Christian" as "a follower of Christ" brings up images of what I'm doing. "In Christ" brings up a sense of where I am apart from my efforts or behavior. That is, "Christian" points to me and what I am doing for Him and "in Christ" points to Christ and what He has done for me.

"Follower of Christ" promotes the thinking of what I'm doing for God. Now, to be sure, we are supposed to do (Eph 2:10). But is that the aim, the intent, the focus? "In Christ", on the other hand, is a contrast with our only other option -- "in Adam" (1 Cor 15:21-22). "Christian" speaks of what we are doing; "in Christ" speaks of a fundamental change in what we are. What we do will change based on what we are, but the point in the latter is Christ's work, not us. And, after all, Christ is the Gospel, not us.

I think "in Christ" is so much better. It eases the "do you believe what I believe?" problem. It relieves the "what are the essentials of the faith?" question (which, today in many circles, has become "None"). In fact, it takes the entire focus off me and puts it on where it ought to be -- Christ. Of course, perhaps "in Christ" isn't as useful in the place that "Christian" is used in conversation. You know, "Are you an 'in Christ'?" Just doesn't seem to work as well. So I'll keep using "Christian" despite the difficulties and baggage it carries. But as a reminder for those of us who are in Christ -- who are amazed and grateful for what Christ has done for us and in us far more than what we are doing for Him -- perhaps "in Christ" is at least a helpful reminder of where we ought to be looking.

No comments: