Like Button

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Free Ride

There is a story in 2 Samuel about King David. He was told to build an altar to the Lord, so he went over to a man named Araunah to buy his threshing floor. Araunah told him he could have the floor. David made an interesting reply. "No, but I will surely buy it from you for a price, for I will not offer burnt offerings to the LORD my God which cost me nothing." (2 Sam 24:24)

Now, we're way beyond burnt offerings, to be sure. I mean, we have the complete and perfect offering of Christ. But what about our other offerings? What about our other worship? David refused to give to God that which cost him nothing. What about us?

We're pretty good at doing those things that benefit us. We gain from a good sermon or a good, soul-stirring song. A singer feels pretty good when he or she sings to the Lord before the congregation and gets the accolades for doing so. And, of course, there are those who profit greatly from their "worship" ... those self-aggrandizing preachers who call for you to "give to the Lord" while they enrich themselves on your offerings.

But what about sacrifice? You know, "Let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name." (Heb 13:15) "I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service of worship." (Rom 12:1) Sacrifice.

For so many these days that which we offer to the Lord had better not cost us much. Not much time, not much money, not much effort. We are a long way from "I will not offer to the Lord that which costs me nothing." And, oddly enough, I think we are the ones that are missing out.

No comments: