Like Button

Monday, March 03, 2014

Religious Discrimination

No, not discrimination against religious people. Discrimination by religious people on the basis of their religion. What does that look like? Does it make sense? I'm going to examine these questions, but keep in mind that I'll be doing it strictly from a Christian perspective. You other religions will have to figure this out on your own.

First we need to figure out what we mean by "discrimination"? You see, everyone discriminates and we don't consider it bad. If you can taste spices in food, you have "discriminating taste". If you can tell light blue from dark blue, your eyes are discriminating. Basic "discrimination" is simply the ability to tell differences between things. And we consider that a good thing when we can discriminate between right and wrong, good and evil, and so on. But the discrimination in view here isn't basic discrimination. We're talking about "unequal treatment". But even that isn't clear enough. I will certainly not treat my wife the same way I treat a stranger on the street. I will not treat my children the same way I treat my coworkers. No one treats everyone the same. Everyone discriminates. So what is actually in mind is "unfair unequal treatment", you see, and that's something else. We have a general sense, in fact, that we shouldn't treat anyone unfairly.

But the question is about religious discrimination. Are we, as Christians, commanded to discriminate -- to treat people differently in a way that might potentially be viewed as "unfair"? You see, if we find that we are allowed to, but not required to, then when the government commands we don't, we mustn't (Rom 13:1-5; 1 Peter 2:17). But if we are commanded to treat particular people differently than others, then we would have grounds for religious discrimination. "I don't like that" is not sufficient grounds. "I am required to" is necessary. And, as it turns out, there are specific biblical commands involved. For instance, if the person in question is immoral and unrepentant and claims to be a Christian, we are commanded not to associate with them (1 Cor 5:9-11). But what about those outside the faith or those whose status you don't know? Well, Paul condemned those who "not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them" (Rom 1:32). So we are clearly required to avoid doing "the same" and we are required to avoid giving approval to others who "practice them".

Now we're left with another question. What is "the same"? What is it we are supposed to avoid endorsing? If you think "He's about to say, 'Homosexuals!'", you'd be wrong. Paul lists a bunch of things. "... being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful" (Rom 1:29-31). Okay, that's quite a list, And the truth is that sexual immorality which includes homosexual behavior is on it (just before the place I took up the quote). So if we're going to be obedient believers, we must not engage in these things or give approval to those who do. Think about that for a moment.

But the question remains about homosexuality. Are we required to discriminate against -- treat unequally and unfairly -- those who have a sexual preference for the same gender? That's "homosexuality", you know. The world refers to "homosexuals" not as an action, but as a being, a lifestyle, an entire definition. To that I would say, "No." Because humans by definition are sinners who tend toward that entire list I gave, so if we are going to discriminate on the basis of tendencies, we're all out, aren't we?

So what are we talking about? We are talking about a very narrow thing here. We are talking first about behavior, not propensity. And we are talking about approval, not general relationships. We are not commanded to withdraw from sinful people. Indeed, Paul says the opposite. "I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people; I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world" (1 Cor 5:9-10). But we are required to avoid approval of sin. Not propensity, but sin. Beyond that there is a very small set that is a "Christians who are immoral" category. Those we are to avoid.

So, can a Christian engage in some sort of business with a sinner? Absolutely! Are we required to avoid engaging with sinners? Don't be ridiculous! We cannot endorse sin and we must avoid those who claim to be Christians but indulge in unrepentant immorality. Oh, look at that! Again, it's sin we're talking about. So if a person engaged in a particular sin asks me to endorse that particular sin, I would be obligated to refuse. And if I bear consequences for such "religious discrimination", Peter says, "If when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God. For you have been called for this purpose ..." (1 Peter 2:20-21). Get that? "You have been called for this purpose." Be ready.

One last note. The claim, the accusation, the protest against a Christian photographer (for instance) who refuses, by means of celebratory participation, to endorse the sin of someone else is that it is "discrimination" and that it is discrimination against a "protected class". The Christian florist that refuses to provide an endorsement for a union of two people God commands not to engage in that activity is indeed discriminating because of his or her religion and, I think I've demonstrated, doing so biblically. However, notice that the argument that this is discrimination on the basis of "sexual orientation or gender identity" is false. (Not that the individual florist or photographer wouldn't be; just that it's not necessary.) If I had a business in which I refused to endorse a sexual relationship between two people of the same sex, I would not do so because of their orientation or identity; I would do so because of the behavior -- the sin. Just like "No shirt, no shoes, no service", I would be saying, "I will not provide endorsement to sin." No "orientation" or "identity" required. Like "no shoes", it is the behavior in view. Now, given the large and growing public and legal prejudice against Christians on this topic, I know the courts would throw it out. That doesn't make it not true. Discrimination on the basis of religion? Yes. On the basis of a religious hate for an orientation or identity? Not at all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

selling flowers to people or taking their photos no more "endorses" people getting married than selling flowers to Mormons "endorses" Mormonism.

If selling your goods to suspected sinners is wrong, then be consistent and don't sell to ANY sinners. Hopefully Jesus will shop there a lot.

dt

Stan said...

There is a distinct difference between selling flowers or taking photos and making arrangements for a wedding or producing the visual record of a wedding. The latter are not simply "selling goods". In these there is a sense of participation.

Consider the reverse. Would a gay baker be willing to bake a cake for the Westboro Baptist Church with "God hates fags" on it? I doubt it. Because in this rare instance there is an imprint of "mine" on it.

Or try this. Ask a bride if the photographer is participating in the celebration. I'm pretty sure she'd admit it, at least if the photographer is doing it right.

Stan said...

Jesus hung out with sinners. True. But He didn't endorse them. He didn't allow for, "Let's have dinner and I'll support your sexual immorality." He said, "Go and sin no more."

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I am a bagpiper, and have played for 44 weddings over my career (I've done about twice that many funerals). As a musician, just like the photographer, I am there as a participant. The music chosen is celebratory of the ceremony, and this makes it giving tacit approval of what is taking place.

I have played for many weddings of unbelievers - but God approves of those marriages!

I have turned down one "wedding" (that's what I was originally told it was) when I learned it was to be a polyamorous Irish "hand-fasting" ceremony. Guess what; the individual said she understood my reasons and said, "Thanks anyway" and that was the end of it. If it had been a "homosexual" I would have been charged with some sort of discrimination.

Stan said...

If a Moslem, for instance, told me, "I'm sorry; I don't serve Christians" (which is not what is in view in this discussion), I'd say, "Well, okay, thanks. I'll go elsewhere." I don't know why it is considered "harm" or "offensive". In fact, when it is considered harmful or offensive, I think that's a clear indication that they are viewing it as a matter of approval, not merely business.

Stan said...

If a Moslem, for instance, told me, "I'm sorry; I don't serve Christians" (which is not what is in view in this discussion), I'd say, "Well, okay, thanks. I'll go elsewhere." I don't know why it is considered "harm" or "offensive". In fact, when it is considered harmful or offensive, I think that's a clear indication that they are viewing it as a matter of approval, not merely business.

Unknown said...

So refusing to provide flowers a homosexual wedding is only a problem if they are engaging in a sinful act at the time. Since you claim it's not the orientation, but the sinful act, as long as they are not participating in a sinful act at the time, you wouldn't be condoning it. Otherwise, as anonymous said, you'd have to not sell those to anyone but Jesus.
Do you think it is a sin for homosexuals to marry? What if they marry, but never have sex? Is that still a sin? (Something I've never thought of until just now).

Stan said...

Is that really what you got from my article? I must be one of the worst communicators on the planet.

1. "Homosexual" is an artificial term created in the last century based on a person's "sexual attraction" and expanded to be a definition. The Bible speaks of "sinners" as a defining characteristic, but not "homosexual". The Bible does say that a certain behavior is sin and the Bible does define marriage. So I don't care if they have "sexual attraction" to the opposite sex (the thing they say defines them). The sin occurs by their choices of how they respond to that attraction.

2. According to Scripture, sin is defined as Cosmic Treason (I know, my word, not the Bible's, but you understand). It is when we defy God. God has specifically and clearly defined marriage. Thus, when someone seeks to engage in "marriage" by redefining it against God's definition, it would be in defiance of God and, therefore, sin.

3. I am not opposed to people with a tendency to sin because I am one of them. Nor is doing business with people who commit sin generally a problem because everyone commits sin. If, however, I am asked to endorse an act that is defined by God as one thing but carried out by those asking me to endorse it as another, I cannot endorse it because that is sin and Scripture condemns those "give approval to those who practice them" (Rom 1:32).

Is that any clearer?