Like Button

Friday, October 14, 2011

The Cult of Mormonism

"Is Mormonism a cult?" That question is being bandied about in the media and on the Internet. "Do you [Evangelicals] believe that Mormonism is a cult?" And you have to read that with the shock and outrage that they bring to the question. As if, "How dare you consider it a cult??!!"

What is a cult? If, by "cult", you mean "a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies" (the standard English definition), then, yes, it is. So is every religion. Since all religions contain their own particular system of religious worship, all religions are cults. But I'm fairly certain that this isn't the (offensive) definition about which the question is being asked. So to what form of "cult" are they referring?

One more likely definition would be "a quasi-religious organization using devious psychological techniques to gain and control adherents." We often think of cults as some sort of mind control, some sort of brain washing where the followers simply follow like automatons. Is Mormonism that kind of a cult? I don't see it. People come and go from the religion all they want. It doesn't seem to be any more of some "devious psychological techniques" than any other false religion. Often we think of a "cult" as "a religious group held together by a dominant, often charismatic individual." Nope. Can't see that in the Mormon religion. So is Mormonism a cult? With the exception of the standard definition which would include all religious beliefs, I can't see how Mormonism could be classified as a "cult".

One other definition for the word is found in academic religious studies. They place "cult" under the term "new religious movements". Now that would be the case for Mormonism. While they like to claim that they are "Christian", it is not possible to maintain that claim in any way, shape, or form.

Mormonism rejects the singular mainstay of Judaism and Christianity carried from the beginning: monotheism. They are polytheists and claim, in fact, that we, too, can become gods.

Mormons reject the Christ of the Bible, represented as "the only begotten of the Father", the singular Son of God. The Bible presents Him as the second part of the Trinity, a part of the Godhead. They consider Him an offspring of God, a literal son, in fact, brother of Lucifer. Not the same Christ.

Mormonism rejects "saved by faith apart from works" in favor of "saved by works". That is, direct contradiction. We are saved by faith to start with, but ultimate salvation is attained by working for it. Ultimate salvation, by the way, is godhood for those who attain it.

Mormons reject the authority of Scripture. They venerate the Bible to some extent, but hold a two-fold position that says that our Bibles were contaminated and are, therefore, unreliable, and that the Book of Mormon is pure and, therefore, the best source of truth.

Is Mormonism a cult? Not in the common usage. It is a religion, so it would be a cult in that use of the term, and it is "new religion", so it would be a cult in that use of the term. But I wouldn't classify it as a cult in any of our normal understanding of the term. Neither could I classify it as Christianity. Not in any standard understanding of that term. It is not merely a "different" form of Christian theology, but a complete rejection of anything that makes Christianity what it is.

15 comments:

David said...

I've always understood a cult as similar to the "new religion" idea. It is an off-shoot of an established religion with enough changes to make it no longer that religion. In the early days, Christianity was considered a cult of Judaism. With that definition, it would make the cult seem to have less validity since it is a shadow of the true religion.

cindy said...

Hi Stan can you explain this phrase from todays post (with scripture backing for clarification please) 'We are saved by faith to start with, but ultimate salvation is attained by working for it. Ultimate salvation, by the way, is godhood for those who attain it.' thanks Cindy

Stan said...

I understand what you mean about Judaism considering Christianity a cult -- a "new religion". Since we understand that Christianity is simply the direction that Judaism was supposed to take, it would not actually be classified as "new". But since Mormonism is a rejection of essential Christianity (starting with the nature of Christ Himself), it would be new and absolutely "have less validity" (read "false").

Stan said...

Cindy,

That would be a phrase for Mormons to explain. It is their theology, not Christian theology. It is one of the errors of the Mormon religion. So I wouldn't be able to offer Scripture to clarify since it's not there. (It requires, first and foremost, polytheism, something plainly denied by the Bible.)

Craig said...

Just to clarify, Mormons consider all other Christian to be apostate, but we're supposed to consider Mormons to be Christian.

Strange.

Stan said...

Good point, Craig. I have another post on the topic queued up for next week in which I point out that they don't think we're Christians. Odd that they insist that we think they are.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I'm really surprised you haven't been attacked by a Mormon apologist yet!

Stan said...

I'm the cellophane man!

No, seriously, a few years ago a Mormon visited my blog quite regularly and commented on how much he agreed with. "You should become a Mormon," he told me. In email I told him that I wasn't interested because I found too many truth claims from Mormonism to be contradictory both to itself and to Scripture. He asked what. When I listed a host of them, he assured me he'd talk to his elders and get answers. He came back and said, "My elders said they don't think you're interested in converting, so I can't talk to you anymore." Ummm, okay.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Now THAT is funny!

Stan said...

I thought so, too. "Umm, okay ... but that's what I told you at the beginning ..."

Believe All Things said...

It seems that the idea that Mormonism is a cult has more to do with modern sociological definitions of a "cult" than anything.

Stan said...

Most definitions of "cult" fit Mormonism ... and all religions. The common sense of the word (some sort of vague, secret, mind-control with some brain-washing leader) doesn't fit. I think, in this, you and I are in agreement.

On the other hand, you and I disagree in that I obviously don't classify the LDS church as "Christian", and I think I explained why.

Anonymous said...

This is so uneducated its appalling.

Stan said...

I'm sorry. The comment is unclear. Uneducated in what sense?

Are you disagreeing with my conclusion that Mormonism is not a cult and you would claim that an educated conclusion would be that it is?

Are you disagreeing with my claims about Mormon theology? I took those from two places. The first was conversations with a Mormon missionary (via email) who told me that I should become a Mormon. I told him that I had too many disagreements with Mormon doctrine. He asked me what they were. I told him. He took them to his elders and they confirmed them. But the better source was the LDS website with their explanation of their own beliefs. So, are you saying that the elders and the LDS are uneducated in what they believe or just poor at expressing it?

The LDS has confirmed all that I have written here. Oh, they would disagree with things like, "Mormons reject the authority of Scripture." They would say, "The Book of Mormon is Scripture and we affirm that." But they deny the reliability of the Bible. "It was altered," they tell me (without proof). So they expand the Christian definition of "Scripture" to include books that weren't available until the 1800's, a colossal failure on the part of the Holy Spirit to lead His people into the truth. So while they might disagree with my conclusions, their positions are accurately portrayed. They don't believe in "One God" so cannot be called "monotheists". They do not believe in the eternal Son of God as portrayed in the Bible -- not even as "the only begotten of the Father" -- and so cannot be called "Christians". In both of these claims here I made an accurate statement about their beliefs followed by a "so" and my conclusion about their beliefs. You may consider my conclusions incorrect, but I have educated myself on their beliefs using the LDS as my source and I have accurately portrayed (some) of those beliefs. So if you disagree with my conclusions, do so without random accusations of a lack of education. It really makes you look ... uneducated.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I also would like to know why this post is "uneducated." I am an ex-Mormon and can verify its accuracy.