Like Button

Sunday, July 24, 2011

For a Friend

When I was young I had a whole book on Medal of Honor winners. I have always enjoyed reading the stories of their bravery, made all the better because they were true. These people did heroic acts of selflessness that saved lives and reflected honor themselves. The largest number of Medal of Honor winners did not survive their medal-earning exploits -- most of these medals were awarded posthumously. On those rare occasions when someone survived their ordeal, they were, at times, asked why they did it. Twice that I know of the answer was something like, "I did it for my friends." And that's heartwarming all by itself. I mean, we know "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends."

It is, however, stunning to think about if you were to ask One who, like the majority of those honored soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines, gave His life in the effort why He did it. Why did He throw Himself on the deadly fury that was intended for others? He could have saved Himself, but didn't. Instead, He stood in the gap and took all of it Himself, dying for His efforts, but saving untold numbers. "Jesus, why'd you do it?"

"I did it for My enemies, the people that scorned Me. I did it for those who hated Me."

Amazing grace!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The most important questions always remain to be the 'why' questions; the soldiers in battle know this thus why they the things they do.