Like Button

Friday, February 02, 2007

Man's Inability

One of the real sticking points many times with those who disagree with Reformed Theology is the suggestion of the "inability of Man". The position of Reformed Theology is that natural Man lacks the capacity to obey God or choose Him. More accurately, while Reformed Theology holds that Man is responsible to repent and believe the Gospel, the position is that he is morally unwilling and unable to do so.

The responsibility of Man to repent and believe is well known among Christians. It is straight out of Scripture. Over and over people are commanded to believe, to come to Christ, to seek Him. Therefore, it is concluded, Man has the capacity to do these. So why would anyone suggest we don't?

Well, that, too, is straight out of Scripture. While humans are reticent to make such a claim about the lack of ability, it appears that the Bible has no such problems. More than once Jesus used the phrase, "No man can ...", a phrase clearly highlighting the inability of man to do something. Paul writes, "Those who are in the flesh cannot please God" (Rom. 8:8). That doesn't speak of a weakness or shortfall; it speaks of total inability. In 1 Cor. 2:14 he writes, "The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned." In this verse there are two statements. One speaks of whether or not it happens. "The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God." The second speaks of the ability to do so. "He is not able to understand them." When we argue that human beings must have the natural capacity to understand and accept the things of God, we do so in the face of these Scriptures, not because of them.

The most difficult one is one of those I mentioned first, where Jesus uses the phrase "No man can ..." He uses it twice in John 6. In verse 44 He explains that Man lacks the natural ability to come to Him. But the real hard one to avoid is the one later on in verse 65. To get the full import, you have to get the context.

Jesus was speaking here to a crowd in the synagogue made up of various folks including locals (John 6:42) and followers (John 6:60). He launches into His famous "I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh" (John 6:51). This odd suggestion really doesn't sit well with many of His listeners. So He goes out of His way to smooth their feathers (not). "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink" (John 6:53-55). This odd talk is so unnerving that, according to John, many of His followers didn't like it (John 6:59-60). Jesus directly addresses His grumbling followers here and says, "But there are some of you who do not believe" (John 6:64). So, having presented a difficult truth, He has weeded out some who claim to follow Him but who actually don't believe. Verse 65 is Jesus's explanation about those who do not believe.
"This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father"(John 6:65).
"This is why I told you" He says. What is why? "There are some of you who do not believe." Jesus is answering the question, "Why is it that some do not believe?" What reason does Jesus offer as to why people do not believe? "No one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father."

"No man can ..." It's a simple phrase with a major impact. How many men? None! Zero! Zip! What about them? They cannot. They lack the ability. It is not in their capacity. "There is not one man who has the capacity ..." The capacity to what? No man has the capacity to come to Christ. Or, to invert it, all human beings lack the natural capacity to come to Christ.

The statement is a universal statement on the inability of Man to do the one thing that will save him. It, fortunately, includes an exception clause -- "unless". But it should be clear at this point that, despite our discomfort about making such statements about Man's ability, the Word of God seems to have no problem at all with stating that natural Man does not have the capacity to come to Christ or to believe in Him. If it is to happen, Jesus suggests, it can only happen if "it is granted him by the Father."

In other words, the Reformed belief of Man's Inability is a biblically-based belief coming first and foremost from the lips of our Savior.

6 comments:

Samantha said...

Thanks for posting this. I get this confused (as you've seen). It's making much more sense now.

I think why this position is so hard to swallow is that it puts God totally in control. And that control seems heartless. We say, "That's not fair! Why would God chose some and not others!" Yet, He is sovereign and loving....redeeming even one of us sinners is merciful. We all deserve hell!

"For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die—but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation." (Rom 5:6-11, ESV)

Anonymous said...

Well, I do agree that no man can unless it is given to him by the Father and I believe there is a time God says in Romans 1 that He makes Himself known to all men. Then they accept or reject that truth they have revealed to them.

Samantha, I have seen my sin as it is. I know who I am apart from Christ. I am sorry, but I am so utterly worthless and ugly apart from Christ, there is no reason or possibility that I can see in the Word or logically that God would choose me and not another. However, as beautiful as He is, as wonderful as He is, and gracious and awesome as He is...there is every reason to choose Him and not another. He intiated a beautiful gift, I received it gratefully. I repented, He gave me His spirit to empower me to overcome those areas of sin when I will choose to put aside myself and choose Him. Even to this day, I have to choose Him or else I choose myself. It remains a daily, moment by moment choice to follow Him.

This is my take on it.

Stan said...

Julianne:

" I am sorry, but I am so utterly worthless and ugly apart from Christ, there is no reason or possibility that I can see in the Word or logically that God would choose me and not another."

Is it your understanding that those of us who believe in Election believe that God chooses us because we're somehow better than others? Do you hear us saying that there is something in us that causes God to choose us?

(I want to know. If that is what you're hearing, then we're saying something dreadfully wrong.)

Samantha said...

Julianne-

I am in complete agreement with you. And also, in my comment, I was not directing it at you, I was directing it "in general." I myself find it hard to swallow.

But I do believe it and I do no think I am any more special than anyone else, nor would I claim to be more special than anyone else. I am completely at awe of God's grace, NOT boasting that I've been chosen!!

Anonymous said...

It depends on WHO says it on what I have heard. From most Calvinist types I have heard what seems to be a sickening pride when it seems they gloat that God chose to elect them but not others (they may not mean it that way, but it sure comes off like that to us). And that is what many hear and why it offends. It so often comes off prideful and arrogant in the "I have the real deeper truth and you don't and God elected me to heaven but others He has elected to hell."

However, I have NEVER heard that from you Stan and I must say that Samantha tries to be very careful in how she says things these days too (for which I am wonderfully delighted to see that growth in her). So no, I do not hear you or Samantha suggest that either of you think you are better than others.

This is why, even though I don't agree with you on some issues, I still like to discuss these things with you, because I know you can speak it in a way it does not offend me and make me blind to what you are trying to share. I don't want to build up a wall, I want to keep the lines open that I may learn. Your humble approach allows me to see your view and ask questions for clarification. It blesses me to love you dearly as my big brother in Christ even if we don't agree on all of these issues. It gives me a respect for you, as I have also grown to have a deeper respect for my little sis Samantha too as I watch her mature in her approach for God's glory.

However, all of this said, you do come off passionate about what you believe and so during a certain time of the month I tend to avoid your blog for a couple of days to keep from being offended when I know I am given to taking things emotionally instead of in the spirit they are intended!

Blessings to you dear brother, your wife, and your family, Julianne

Stan said...

"Well, I do agree that no man can unless it is given to him by the Father and I believe there is a time God says in Romans 1 that He makes Himself known to all men. Then they accept or reject that truth they have revealed to them."

Here's the problem (in my head, at least). When Jesus said "no man can" in this instance, He said it for a specific reason. He was explaining why it is that some don't believe. If we say that "Yeah, sure, no man can unless the Father grant it, but clearly the Father grants it to everyone," then we have simply eliminated Jesus's explanation. "So, Jesus, why is it that some of these people don't believe?" "Well, they don't believe because no one can believe unless the Father grant it." "So, the Father didn't grant it to them?" "Well, no, the Father grants it to everyone." "Ummmm, okay ... so, tell us again ... why is it that some of these people don't believe?"

I can see no reason for Jesus saying "For this reason" in preface to His statement "no man can" if it is not the reason that some do not believe. And it is not an answer if the reason is something that everyone has available. To me, it would be as if He said, "For this reason I told you no man can come to Me unless they are breathing." Everyone in question is breathing. What reason for the dilemma of why some don't believe has been offered?