Like Button

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Tiptoe through TULIP - Introduction

So far I've posted fairly non-controversial stuff. Perhaps this is ill-advised, but, just for the fun of it, I’m going to put down some data on the acrostic, TULIP. I’m hoping that by clearing away some of the nonsense that surrounds the principles, a more reasonable dialogue can be had wherein unrelated and false ideas about them can be ignored and the real issues can be examined.

What I’ve found as I have examined these issues is that the five letters, assembled as a memory aid, have served instead to obscure the meaning and intent of the principles involved. As a background, these points were brought up after John Calvin died as points of contention. The Church gathered at what was called “The Synod of Dort” and addressed these concerns. TULIP represents the response of the Synod. Unfortunately, very few ever look at the report, the Canons of Dort. So we end up chasing our tails arguing about these points without really understanding what they mean.

Some of you may have faulty ideas about these principles. I’m hoping this will aid in correcting them. Some of you may already disagree with them. I’m hoping that this will make your view more clear. Some of you may be curious. I’m hoping that this will provide you answers.

2 comments:

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Okay, bro... I promise to keep an open mind :D

Stan said...

That's all I ask.