Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Man's Inability and Culpability

In Philippians 2, Paul urges the believers to “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” (Php 2:12). It’s a little daunting, actually. “Me? Work out my own salvation?” It’s serious enough for Paul to include “with fear and trembling.” And I might say, “But I can’t.” It’s a good thing, then, that the sentence doesn’t end there. Paul follows it immediately with a “for” statement. “For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure” (Php 2:13). Ah! There it is! So … yes, I have to work out my salvation, and, yes, it’s hard work—frightening, even—but I’m not doing it alone. Indeed, God is doing it in me. Notice that God offers two components: to will and to work. He gives us the ability and inclination to choose it, and He gives us the power to do it. These are the two necessary pieces of anything we do. Do I want to? Do I have the capacity? God fills in those two. I can get to work now. This is all to illustrate the answer to the problem that people have with God’s Sovereignty and Man’s Inability. Scripture is not vague on God’s Sovereignty. He isn’t “sort of sovereign.” He works all things after the counsel of His will. So whether by allowing or causing, everything that happens is according to the counsel of His will. We see this in Joseph’s “You intended it for evil, but God intended it for good” (Gen 50:20). You see it in Jesus’s “For the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom he is betrayed!” (Luke 22:22). And elsewhere. God lays human responsibility and His sovereignty side by side and works all things together for good (Rom 8:28). It’s the other side that gets sticky. Equally clear in Scripture is Man’s Inability. We are “dead in sin” (Eph 2:1-3), born in sin (Psa 51:5), hostile to God (Rom 8:7). We can’t understand the things of God (1 Cor 2:14) and can’t even see the kingdom of God without a supernatural intervention (John 3:3). So, if that truly describes humans—incapable of choosing God—how can God hold them responsible? The problem is we’re misunderstanding “inability.” The inability isn’t the lack of capability; it’s the lack of volition. It is what we call “moral inability.” Let’s try a parallel and see if you can understand this. A man comes into my home, puts a gun in my hand, and says, “If you don’t shoot your wife, I’ll kill you.” It would be right and reasonable for me to answer, “I can’t.” What would I mean? Do I lack the muscle to pull that trigger? Is there something wrong with my hand or some obstacle between me and her? No. I do not have it in me to shoot my wife. I don’t have the willingness to choose to do that because it would violate my nature. It is only my own nature preventing me from doing it. My lack of inclination. In the same way, the one thing that prevents anyone from coming to Christ is not something external preventing them. They have the capacity to say, “Jesus is Lord” (Rom 10:9) and there certainly is sufficient evidence for God and the truth of His Word (Rom 1:19-20; Psa 19:1). The only thing preventing anyone from coming is their own refusal to do so, their moral inability to choose Him. They lack the will. The reason people don’t come to Him is that they choose not to and the only way that can be changed is to change their wills. Only God can do that. The point, then, is not that sinners lack the capacity to come to Christ, but that they lack the desire. Their inability is rooted in what they love, not in what they lack. And because the will is bound to the heart, only God can free it. He grants repentance, opens eyes, inclines affections, and creates a new nature that delights in Christ. When He does, the one who once said “I can’t” now says “I will,” and he comes freely, joyfully, and genuinely—because grace has made him willing.

6 comments:

  1. One could say our will is bound by our sin nature and freed by God's grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking and reading about this topic a bit the past few days, I realize that the exact nature and operation of the human will is a complex study, as it encompasses man’s creation in the image of God vs. the impact of original sin upon our inherited core nature--and everything in-between! While your thoughts here flow logically and convincingly, and I follow them perfectly fine (and see how they align with Scripture), I realize that they don’t cover all the intricacies of the will as it informs human behavior. (I will need to study this topic more, as I said earlier.)

    However, more than merely grasping the theological and philosophical bases of Free Will, in order to simply deposit that knowledge into my brain’s storage, I want to think about how my understanding affects life and practice for me as a believer. I know that there is a huge discrepancy between those who hold to Reformed Theology and those who do not when it comes to this topic. Rather than follow (or contribute to) arguments on one side or the other, I wonder what difference it actually makes. One area I see being affected by one’s stance on this matter is evangelism, i.e. sharing the gospel truths with the lost. Whereas in the past, I might have been led to lay out “a case for Christ” like an attorney might and leave it to the jury to decide, so to speak, now I believe it more important to pray that God changes hearts presently set against Him, moving them from “I can’t” to “I will,” as you say. This supernatural change moves one from death to life, all to His glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, regarding evangelism on this topic. We ARE commanded to be ready to make a defense, and we SHOULD be able to express and defend the faith, but so many people are bound up in this "What if I say it wrong?" or the like that it is problematic. I like the fact that if God can use Balaam's donkey to express what He wants, He can certainly use our "less than stellar" defenses and turn them into exactly what some need to hear. The doctrine of election makes me bolder to evangelize because I believe that all who are appointed will believe.

      Delete
    2. Lorna, in the evangelism I see it as a both/and. Lay out the case for Christ and then pray for a renewed heart. People that seem to take the Reformed position to the extreme start and end with the prayer only. However, while we're not the ones who get to decide if someone accepts, God has given us the gift of being participants in the process, but as Stan said, we don't need to sweat our shortcomings in evangelism. I think the Reformed position is more freeing for the evangelist.

      For me, the most wonderful thing about the Reformed position compared to any non-Reformed one is that God gets all the glory in the salvation process. There is nothing I can bring to the salvation table, not even my choice.

      I believe Edwards and Luther have even more to say on the practical effects of the Reformed position on the will.

      In regards to your comment on the previous post, of course I assumed you were an avid reader because of how often you reference the theological books on the shelf. And we turn to the likes of Luther, Edwards, and Calvin, not because we believe they have some revelatory insight, but because they are able to pare down certain topics of the Bible into focused bites. There is so much in the Bible, spread out through all the pages that it is helpful to have faithful expositors to pick out the nuggets on a certain topic. We could read the Bible cover to cover focusing on certain topics every time we want to better understand that topic, or use the resources God has given us through theological writers.

      Delete
    3. It seems that both of you picked up on the exact point I had in mind--that my efforts at witnessing don’t make or break someone’s spiritual destiny; rather, God’s work is essential, from beginning to end. Many years ago, I heard this analogy: We are like the mail carrier, merely delivering the Good News to those on our “route”; the reception of that message upon its deliverance--whether rejection or acceptance--is wholly God’s business.

      Delete
    4. David, I will take your encouragement regarding reading material to heart. (Sigh, so many books, so little time.)

      Delete

We're always happy to have a friendly discussion with you readers. "Friendly" is the key word here. If it gets too heated or abusive, I'll have to block the comment. Let's keep it friendly, okay?