Saturday, August 29, 2026

News Weakly - 8/29/2026

A Brutal Proof
A Montana man, Alan Smith, 44 years old, was asked by his parents to move out. So he showed up at a Sunday family dinner and shot 4 generations—grandmother, parents, sister, and his sister’s four children. His grandmother was in her 90’s and used a wheelchair, and the youngest victim was a 7-year-old girl. He set the house on fire and killed himself, demonstrating that sin rots the brain (Rom 1:21-22) and the heart is deceitful and desperately wicked (Jer 17:9).

Too Little, Too Late?
Meta agreed to pay $17 billion and add “better child-safety measures” on Facebook and Instagram ... as if there is such a thing as “child-safety” on social media. The accusation was that they were using “addictive and harmful” algorithms that harmed youth mental health. Not like the poor parenting that allowed the youth to use the “addictive and harmful” products.

Missing the Point
An Air Force major was arrested. It is technically incorrect that he was arrested for calling for President Trump’s impeachment, but that’s the story. He was arrested for making “contemptuous remarks” about the president, disobedience to orders, and conduct unbecoming an officer. Keep in mind that members of the military have rules they have to follow that civilians don’t. For instance, members of the US military are prohibited by military law from participating in protests, marches, or political demonstrations while wearing their uniform. He disobeyed that rule. But I also think it’s worth noting that the military is insistent that its personnel must “respect the office, not necessarily the person who holds it.” This officer clearly missed that message.

Postpartum Abortion?
Lindsay Clancy admits she killed her three children. No question there. The defense claims she had some sort of breakdown—postpartum depression, “a period of insanity,” something—so she shouldn’t be held responsible. And hundreds of women agreed, protesting in her favor. “She needed help.” That may be true, but are we actually going to literally let her get away with murder? Does human life mean that little to us today? Oh, yeah, I guess so. A recent estimate indicates that nearly 2 billion people do not exist today because they were aborted. Well, so much for “made in the image of God.” Wait ... tell me again. Why is murder such an evil crime?

Political Tailgating
In case you haven’t heard, there is a new kid in town (so to speak)—the Democratic Socialists of America (DSA). It’s a misnomer, of course, to call them “of America” when their platform is essentially the elimination of the Constitution, but that’s what they’re calling themselves. And they’re growing. Newsweek reported this week that a growing number of Republicans are in agreement with a growing number of the DSA policies, such as Medicare for all, higher taxes on billionaires, raising the minimum wage, and opposition to data centers. It’s a clear example of the Right following the Left at a distance, and it’s disconcerting.

Foolish Name Calling
President Trump decided this week that the really important issue in the world today is that there was a lake on the border of Canada and the US that bore the name “Lake Ontario.” So, he showed them a thing or two. He signed an executive order to rename it “Lake America.” Whew!! Another crisis averted. Look for lower prices in the grocery store and peace on Earth. Oh … wait … strike that. Just a petty action like “stealing” the Gulf of Mexico from Mexico by naming it the “Gulf of America.” This way, you see, he can rename everything and become emperor of the world … for a short while … in his own mind. No, I don’t mean that he actually thinks that. It’s just … silliness from someone I’d have hoped better from.

The Injustice System?
A while back, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth voiced concerns about a particular AI product that he felt might constitute a surveillance risk to the U.S. military. He blacklisted Anthropic, a company that offers an AI that Hegseth doesn't trust. Anthropic sued. Now a U.S. District Judge has ordered that the Department of Defense is not allowed to have that view and the court will decide who the DoD is allowed to trust or distrust. I cannot fathom how the court gets to decide who anyone chooses to use as a provider for products and/or services. Next we’ll have the Supreme Court telling us we all need to buy Chinese products? Is that really a function of US law?

Fake News to Brighten Your Day
Dolly Parton’s sad passing was universally mourned, it seems, so the Bee couldn’t let it go without mention. In one story a man attempts to honor her passing by actually working 9 to 5. “I don’t know if I can make it, but I’m going to try.” Touching. In another story, the Bee reports that the Apocalypse is clearly at hand as the last remaining universally beloved human being passes away. Now … that might be too close to the truth. In other news, President Trump officially classified liberal women as a “terrorist organization.” Sure, “fake news,” but not necessarily fake terror.

Must be true; I read it on the internet.

1 comment:

  1. A Brutal Proof
    I once asked an atheist if he thinks the world is becoming a better place as belief in personal morality instead of objective morality has become more widespread. He said yes. I'm sorry, I just don't see the evidence. I even pointed out the rapid rise of school shootings and he said that was going to just be a wave and would eventually decrease. It is really hard to have a meaningful conversation with someone that simply denies what is going on right in front of them.

    Too Little, Too Late?
    This is clearly a governmental cash grab and virtue signal. Meta is putting out a product. We all know it is addictive and bad for young minds especially. But no amount of legal pressure is going to change how parents handle their kids, unless you start punishing parents for letting their kids in these apps. Just like it is illegal to provide alcohol, cigarettes, or legal drugs to minors, it should be illegal for parents to allow it. You don't go after the alcohol, cigarette, and drug companies when minors use their product, why social media. There are two countries I know of that have banned social media from children under 18, and it is still a rampant problem because the parents are simply aiding them in bypassing the limitations. This ruling will ultimately change nothing and put a bunch of dollars in the hands of state governments.

    Missing the Point
    I'm not even sure if that is even taught in the military anymore. I know of a guy that just got out of the Air Force and supports the DSA, even though he had sworn to protect the Constitution from enemies, foreign and domestic. But such things as oaths and respect are no longer culturally enforced, so is anyone surprised when people break their oaths and disrespect?

    Postpartum Abortion?
    This case is a clear example of how humans are definitely not "basically good". The fact that she is on trial at all and not already in prison or death row is insane to me. If I woke up one day from some sort of manic episode to find out I'd manually strangled my three children, there would be no trial because I would confess. She has confessed and yet she is trying to get out of the worst part of the punishment. The fact that she doesn't spend every lucid moment in shock and horror at what she's done tells me that she knew what she was doing.

    Political Tailgating
    I've heard them called the "horseshoe Right". It is why I anticipate losing the House and Senate next year and the presidency in '28. As more people accept the baseline positions of the Left as true, like the "right to housing and healthcare", we've already lost since now we're only talking about different ways to implement false reality. There was a time in this country that Democrats and Republicans wanted the same thing but disagreed on how to get their. Then the divide widened to wanting completely different things, to back to wanting the same thing through different means. We're like a slinky going down the stairs with the Left pulling us inevitably to ruin.

    Foolish Name Calling
    I think this is such a stupid and pointless maneuver. I could see the change of the name of the Gulf, the US touches more of the Gulf than Mexico does and we use it more, but also the Gulf touches North, Central, and South America, so calling it the Gulf of America is still basically accurate. But this lake business is just a dumb troll, and I really don't like the entire concept of trolling. It is unchristian and not a nice thing to do.

    The Injustice System?
    As the beliefs of the DSA spread, this is inevitable. Their goal is to destroy the US, so impeding our ability to defend ourselves in any way is good in their books. It's why their opposed to restocking the national arsenal and preventing data centers. Without data centers, China wins the AI race and become the dominant military and economic power, and they celebrate the Cultural Revolution under Mao, so if the military is drastically hampered, it will be all the easier to have their revolution here.

    ReplyDelete

We're always happy to have a friendly discussion with you readers. "Friendly" is the key word here. If it gets too heated or abusive, I'll have to block the comment. Let's keep it friendly, okay?